Easily convert your favorite oven-baked muffin recipe to it's air fryer muffins counterpart. The recipe given here is for a new favorite- morning glory muffins! But this guide to making muffins in the air fryer goes for any flavor muffin, so feel free to make whatever you love.
Making muffins in the air fryer is as simple as changing the baking appliance from the oven to the air fryer and reducing the time and temperature.
Mix your favorite batter, fill muffin liners and pop into the air fryer for 15 minutes. There's no need to change any ingredients or the mixing method when converting an oven-baked muffin recipe.
A good rule of thumb for conversion is:
Temperature: 350°F (177°C)
Time: 12-15 minutes
Make healthy muffins for breakfast and sweet, fruity muffins for dessert. But if you're not into any of the suggestions below, use your favorite muffin recipe instead.
Our Favorite Healthy Muffins
- Healthy Morning Glory Muffins (recipe included below)
- Carrot Raisin Breakfast Muffins
- Oatmeal Flax Muffins
Sweet and Fruity Muffins
The texture of air fryer muffins is nearly identical to oven baked muffins. A good muffin recipe will come out soft and moist as a muffin should. You may find that air fried muffins are slightly less soft, but it's barely noticeable. And the texture doesn't affect the taste.
Yes, you can use both paper and silicone baking cups in the air fryer. Because silicone cups are sturdier, they hold thick muffin batter better and lead to less spilling than paper cups. I prefer using silicone cups for this reason.
💭 Expert Tips
- It's easiest to use silicone muffin cups rather than paper cups. Silicone muffin cups are heavy and can easily be filled on the counter and transferred into the air fryer without spilling.
- Fill the muffin cups outside of the air fryer and then transfer them to the basket or tray. This will keep the air fryer clean in the case of dripping batter.
- Check the muffins at the 12 minute mark by inserting a toothpick into the center. If not done, increase the time in 1 minute increments.
- Use a silicone egg bites mold to make mini muffin balls, similar to these air fryer lemon drop cookies. Use the same time and temperature that I do for the cookies.
Packed with good-for-you ingredients like apples, carrots, pecans and raisins, morning glory muffins are healthy and delicious- a perfect breakfast muffin!
They are moistened and sweetened with applesauce, yogurt, honey, and egg (use a flax egg for egg allergies). And spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Morning glory muffins are loaded with vitamins, minerals, and energy-inducing ingredients.
These muffins are one of the only ways I can get my 6 and 3 year olds to eat raisins, carrots, and pecans. They devour them.
But if I haven't convinced you to make morning glory muffins, you can use whatever muffin recipe you want here.
🔪 Step-By-Step Directions
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Make a hole in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined, being careful not to over mix. *Over mixing leads to dense muffins.
- Fold in any mix-ins, such as the carrots, apples, raisins and pecans in this morning glory muffin recipe. *The batter will be very thick. This is exactly how you want it!
- Scoop the batter into muffin cups, filling almost to the top.
- Transfer the muffin cups to the air fryer and cook at 350°F (177°C) for 12 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center to check for doneness, adding 1 minute at a time until cooked through if necessary. *They should not need more than 15 minutes.
Remove the muffins using tongs and let cool for 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Air Fryer Morning Glory Muffins
- air fryer
- silicone muffin cups
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ⅓ cup applesauce
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- ⅔ cup honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 cup apples, shredded
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup pecans
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.
- Make a hole in the center and add the applesauce, yogurt, honey, vanilla extract and egg. Mix into the dry ingredients until just combined, being careful not to over mix.
- Fold in the carrots, apples, raisins and half of the pecans. The batter will be very thick.
- Scoop into silicone muffin cups filling nearly to the top. Sprinkle with remaining pecans.
- Transfer to the air fryer and cook at 350°F (177°C) for 12 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center to check for doneness, adding 1 minute at a time until cooked through if necessary.
🍲 How To Store
Store muffins at room temperature for 3-5 days in a sealed container, in the fridge for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
That's all there is to making muffins in the air fryer! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do, and will let me know what you think about this recipe in the comments below.