Turn a tropical margarita into a fun snack for the summertime! Strawberry Margarita Muffins are infused with silver tequila, lime juice, and fresh chopped strawberries and drizzled with a zesty lime glaze. The perfect tropical treat for summer breakfast, snack, picnics or poolside!
easy margarita muffins with zesty lime glaze
Ice cold tropical margaritas are wonderfully refreshing all summer long, and now you can turn that delicious drink into a snack the whole family can enjoy!
Strawberry margarita muffins are easy to make, and could even pass as cupcakes to the little ones. I use my favorite super-moist oil and butter based muffin batter to make these, infuse it with tequila and lime, and then dye it pink and green.
Topped with a zesty lime glaze and a sprinkle of sugar, it's just like eating a house made strawberry margarita.
You can have these beautiful margarita muffins made and ready to eat in about 30 minutes. If you have kids, let them help. They will love being able to dye the batter and drizzle the muffins with the yummy glaze!
If these strawberry margarita muffins are made with tequila, are they okay for kids to eat, you ask? Yes! Margarita muffins are perfectly fine for anyone under the legal drinking age to eat 😊 You're kids will love these fun summer green and pink muffins, so go ahead and let them enjoy!
What happens to tequila when it's cooked?
When tequila, or other alcohol, is cooked the majority of the alcohol is burned off during the cooking process. You can see this handy chart for how much alcohol is left after cooking because the method of cooking does account for how much is burned off.
When making margarita muffins, the tequila is stirred into the liquid batter and cooked for about 30 minutes. This will leave about 35% of the alcohol.
If you'd prefer making muffins that don't contain tequila or alcohol, here is a list of my favorite wholesome muffins:
- The Best Peach Muffins
- Double Chocolate Bakery Style Muffins
- Dairy Free Raspberry Muffins
- Healthy Carrot Apple Breakfast Muffins
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Muffins
- Strawberry Banana Muffins
- Almond Milk Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins
- Pumpkin Spice Muffins
But if you'd made my tequila-infused strawberry margarita muffins, I'd love to hear what you thought in the comments! Don't forget to follow me on Pinterest for the latest recipes. I hope that you enjoy!
ingredients in strawberry margarita muffins
To make strawberry margarita muffins you first need a good tequila (I use Jose Cuervo Especial Blue Agave Silver). You also need:
- lime juice and lime zest
- green and pink food coloring
- baking powder
- olive oil
- vanilla extract
- fresh strawberries
For the lime glaze, you need butter, milk, lime juice and zest, and powdered sugar.
how to make strawberry margarita muffins
1. Make the batter
The first step in making strawberry margarita muffins is to make the batter. Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
Next add the olive oil, milk, egg, vanilla extract, lime juice and zest, and tequila. Mix until just combined.
Separate the batter into 2 bowls.Add green dye to one bowl and pink to the other. Stir until color is uniform, being careful not to overmix. Overmixing will give you a dense muffin!
Fold the chopped strawberries into the pink batter.
Fill the muffin cups half with pink batter and half with green batter until they are ⅔ of the way full.
Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Let them cool out of the pan for 10 minutes prior to glazing.
2. Make the Lime Glaze
While waiting for them to cool, make the lime glaze. Since this only takes a few minutes and it hardens pretty quick, whip it together close to when your strawberry margarita muffins are cooled.
To make the glaze, melt the butter in the microwave. Mix in the powdered sugar and whisk until it's mostly smooth.
Now add the lime juice, milk, and lime zest. Whisk until smooth.
Now that you have the lime glaze ready, it's time to glaze the strawberry margarita muffins!
3. Glaze Margarita Muffins
If you didn't make the glaze in a pourable bowl, transfer it to one for ease. You can also scoop out the glaze with a spoon.
Drizzle the lime glaze over each muffin. Set in the fridge for a few minutes. If you'd like a thicker glaze, drizzle more on each muffin once the first coating sets for a couple minutes.
4. Serve and enjoy!
Serve your strawberry margarita muffins for breakfast, snack time, on picnics, or poolside with a homemade margarita in hand!
Strawberry Margarita Muffin
For Muffin Batter
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoon tequila
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 green and pink food coloring
For the Lime Glaze
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon lime zest
- Preheat oven to 350° and fill 12 cup muffin tin with liners
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix in the milk, vanilla extract, egg, oil, tequila, lime, juice, and lime zest until well blended. Mix with a fork until just combined, being careful not to over mix.
- Separate into 2 bowls. Add green dye to one bowl and pink to another. Stir until color is uniform.
- Fold the chopped strawberries into the pink batter.
- Fill the muffin cups with pink batter first and then green, until they are ⅔ of the way full.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before glazing.
- While waiting for muffins to cool make the glaze. Melt the butter. Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. Mix until mostly smooth. Add the milk, lime juice, and zest. Mix until smooth. Drizzle over cooled muffins. Set in fridge for a few minutes before serving.
Follow me on Pinterest for the latest recipes and more!