Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins are made with fresh shredded zucchini, milk chocolate chips, and coconut oil for a hint of coconut flavor. Zucchini muffins are an easy way to sneak your kids (or you!) their daily vegetables: covered in chocolate!
Zucchini is a strange vegetable. Let's just admit that no matter how versatile it is, it is strange. Sure, we can make zucchini lasagna, zucchini boats, zucchini chips, zucchini fries, zucchini noodles, and even zucchini pizza.
But when not cooked right, zucchini often becomes mushy. It can be bland when not seasoned properly or mixed with the right ingredients.
But if you love the versatility and health benefits of zucchini, especially during the summer months when it's in it's peak, making it the star of baked goods won't disappoint you!
And hidden in double chocolate muffins? Perfection!
Why You'll Love Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- They're made in 1 bowl and in about 5 minutes.
- They use coconut oil for a subtle taste of coconut.
- They are a great muffin to have for breakfast and are ideal for picky eaters who won't eat their vegetables unless they are smothered in something sweet— like chocolate!
- Ready to eat in less than 30 minutes!
- They are freezer friendly, so make a double batch and freeze some for meal prepping or busy nights and mornings down the road.
To make these chocolate zucchini muffins, you need:
- all purpose flour
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- baking powder
- white sugar
- coconut oil
- eggs (or flax eggs)
- vanilla extract
- buttermilk (store bought or mix 1 cup of milk with 1 tbsp vinegar)
- chocolate chips
- shredded zucchini
Chocolate zucchini muffins have their health benefits, depending on the ingredients. But they are not technically "healthy".
Despite coconut oils "good for you" stigma, it really is no better for you than butter because it contains a high amount of saturated fat, according to the American Heart Association.
So, chocolate zucchini muffins with coconut oil are no healthier than chocolate zucchini muffins with butter. These muffins could be made healthier by using olive oil, if you prefer.
Coconut oil gives your baked goods a subtle, yet not overpowering, hint of coconut taste.
It's easy to swap the fat you use in a baked goods recipe with coconut oil. Follow the 1:1 ratio anytime you choose coconut oil instead of butter (or other types of oils).
If you don't have coconut oil, use butter, olive oil, or vegetable oil.
Happy baking! I just know you'll love these muffins.
🔪 Step-By-Step Directions
This is a 1 bowl, 3 step recipe:
- Preheat the oven and line a muffin tin.
- Mix the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Then add the zucchini and chocolate chips, and mix until distributed.
- Pour into muffin tin and bake for 20-25 minutes.
A toothpick will come out clean when they are done.
Cool them on a wire rack for a few minutes before indulging. Enjoy!
Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¼ cup buttermilk (1 ¼ cup milk + 1 tbsp vinegar)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 1 ½ cup shredded zucchini
- Preheat oven to 350° and line muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder.
- Make a hole in the center and add the eggs, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla extract. Mix until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and zucchini.
- Fill muffin cups to the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
🍲 How To Store
Freezer: 6 months stored tightly in plastic.
Fridge: 1 week, wrapped in plastic.
Counter: 3 days, wrapped in plastic.
I hope you've enjoyed this recipe!