These healthy Crockpot Mashed Sweet Potatoes are a delicious side dish to add to just about any dinner or Thanksgiving holiday gathering. With just a few ingredients and your trusty slow cooker, mashed sweet potatoes are easy to make and taste wonderful!
This recipe for making crockpot mashed sweet potatoes is an easy way to make this healthy side dish for dinner and a great way to make a large batch of sweet potatoes for the holidays. Once you've slow cooked whole sweet potatoes, simply peel off the skins and mix the creamy cooked potatoes with butter, salt, pepper and milk - the same as you would when making traditional mashed white potatoes or mashed cauliflower.
I especially love making mashed sweet potatoes in a crockpot for Thanksgiving because I use the keep warm setting to have them ready to serve without needing to reheat. Cooking them in your Instant Pot works great for this too.
You need just a few hours of time, a good potato masher or immersion blender and a few pantry and fridge staple ingredients to create these tasty crockpot mashed sweet potatoes. Once you've perfected the basic recipe to your taste preferences, add in flavor enhancing ingredients like cinnamon, brown sugar or honey (see the full list of suggestions below).
- Whole sweet potatoes
- Unsalted butter
- Milk: heavy cream works too.
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
STEP 1: Place the sweet potatoes into the slow cooker, stacking them if necessary. Cover and set to low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
STEP 2: When finished, poke the thickest sweet potato with a fork to check if it's tender. If not, continue cooking in 30 minute increments until potatoes are all fork tender. Carefully remove the sweet potatoes using tongs. Peel off the skins and discard. Place the sweet potatoes back into the slow cooker or put in a large mixing bowl.
STEP 4: Mash using a potato masher or immersion blender.
STEP 5: Add butter, milk, salt and black pepper. Using the immersion blender or masher, blend until smooth and creamy. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
Serve warm with additional toppings or add-ins if desired (see below for suggestions).
Optional Add Ins
For a variation to these simple mashed sweet potatoes, add one or more of the ingredients below to create even sweeter potatoes or a more savory version:
- Brown sugar
- Maple syrup
- Greek yogurt (plain)
Top your crockpot mashed sweet potatoes with some of these delicious combinations:
How To Store
Store mashed sweet potatoes in the fridge for up to 7 days in an airtight container. They can be frozen for up to 6 months, then thawed and reheated in the microwave or oven. After defrosting, you likely will need to thicken them with a little cornstarch or flour to remove some of the moisture.
What To Serve With Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Slow cooker mashed sweet potatoes are a traditional accompiant to Thanksgiving dinner, in addition to a healthy and filling side dish for a variety of main dishes such as:
- If possible, use small fatter potatoes rather than long skinny ones. Small plump sweet potatoes tend to be less stringy than long narrow ones.
- Using an immersion blender rather than a hand masher helps to make them smooth and velvety. However, if you like a chunkier texture to your mashed potatoes, a hand masher will do the trick.
Save yourself the trouble and time and skip peeling the sweet potatoes before slow cooking them. The potato skins will easily peel off once they are cooked and the potatoes will slide right out of them.
Mashed sweet potatoes can become a little watery once they sit a while. Simply stir the potatoes to mix in any extra moisture and if they are still too thin or runny, mix in a thickening agent like cornstarch, flour, or powdered milk in small increments.
Yes! Keeping mashed sweet potatoes on the "keep warm" setting is an easy way to serve them during holiday gatherings. There's no need to worry about warming them up and having them go cold before dinner, plus you'll keep other appliances available for all that bulk cooking!
To make crockpot mashed potatoes vegan, use oat milk or unsweetened almond milk instead of the dairy milk and vegan butter instead of traditional butter.
Crockpot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes approximately 4-6 large sweet potatoes
- 5 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon butter per potato
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- Place the sweet potatoes into the slow cooker, stacking them if necessary. Cover and set to low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
- When finished, poke the thickest sweet potato with a fork to check if it's tender. If not, continue cooking in 30 minute increments until potatoes are all fork tender. *see notes for cooking times.
- Carefully remove the sweet potatoes using tongs. Peel off the skins and discard. Place the sweet potatoes back into the slow cooker or in a large bowl.
- Mash using a potato masher or immersion blender. Add butter, milk, salt and pepper. Using the immersion blender or masher, blend until smooth and creamy. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve warm with additional toppings if desired (see notes for suggestions).