Baked Mini Potatoes are a quick and simple appetizer or finger food for holidays, parties and special occasions. Make them in the oven or air fryer. Either way, they turn into crispy roasted mini potatoes with a delicious creamy inside. Top with yummy baked potato fixings, like sour cream, cheese, bacon bits, and chives or your favorites!
These crispy Baked Mini Potatoes require minimal effort and are quick, easy, and delicious. They are delicious served warm straight from the oven or at room temperature, so they're a great finger food or appetizer for holiday gatherings on Thanksgiving and Christmas and dinner parties on New Year's Eve.
Baked mini potatoes are made with just 3 ingredients- baby potatoes, olive oil, and salt. Three simple and wholesome ingredients, yet the outcome is incredibly delicious!
You'll probably want to serve them with your favorite baked potato toppings. Cheddar cheese, bacon bits, fresh herbs like chives and parsley, and sour cream make these roasted potatoes taste even more fantastic.
They also make a great side dish for nearly any main dish, from chicken to fish.
What To Serve With Baked Mini Potatoes As A Side:
More Potato Recipes
- Baby potatoes: little creamer potatoes, baby golden potatoes, or mini medley potatoes (also called baby fingerlings potato medley) work for this recipe.
- Oil: I always use extra virgin olive oil, but your favorite cooking oil will do fine.
- Salt: I love using coarse sea salt to add a little texture. Table salt, pink salt, or other salt varieties all can be substituted.
Oven Roasted Instructions
To make oven roasted mini potatoes, follow these steps:
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Put olive oil in a small bowl and sprinkle the salt onto a small plate if using.
STEP 2: Leaving the potatoes whole, dip into the olive oil and roll in the salt. Shake excess salt off. Place on a baking sheet and cook for 45-50 minutes, or until a fork easily pierces the potatoes.
STEP 3: Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Using tongs, transfer potatoes to a serving plate and let cool for a few minutes. Use a knife to slice a cross in the top of each potato.
Then gently squeeze to push the insides up, like in the picture below.
You can then add your toppings, or arrange toppings in small bowls for guests to use themselves.
Air Fryer Instructions
In takes half the time to make air fried mini baked potatoes than it does to roast them in the oven. I have both this basket-style air fryer and this oven-style one. They both work great for something as simple as potatoes!
STEP 1: Preheat the air fryer to 375°F/190°C and set the time to 20 minutes. Spray the whole potatoes lightly with oil or dip into the olive oil. Roll in the salt and place in the air fryer basket or on the tray. Cook for 20 minutes. There's no need to rotate the potatoes partly through cooking.
Check to see if they're done around the 15 minute mark by piercing them with a fork. If not done, continue cooking in 2 minute increments.
STEP 2: Using tongs, transfer the potatoes to a serving plate. Slice a cross in the top of each and gently squeeze to push the insides up. Add the optional toppings or your choice of others.
Baked Potato Topping Ideas
Some delicious toppings ideas are:
- Shredded cheese: cheddar, monterey jack, pepper jack, feta, blue cheese
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Fresh herbs: chive, parsley, thyme
- Seasonings: freshly ground pepper, salt,
- Spicy: red pepper flakes
- Sour cream
- Bacon bits
Potatoes are fantastic with just salt and pepper, but are extremely versatile and pair well with a large variety of seasonings. For classic potatoes, season them with parsley, rosemary, garlic powder or thyme. For smoky-style potatoes, use smoked paprika, cajun or creole seasoning, or turmeric. These are only a small list suggestions, there are so many choices!
I think this recipe turns out just as delicious cooked in both the oven and the air fryer. But because the air fryer cuts the time in half, I prefer that method!
Potatoes are naturally fat free and high in fiber, which makes this a pretty wholesome recipe. Using olive oil instead of butter keeps added fat on the healthier side. Any "unhealthy" nutritional factors will come from your toppings. Using fresh herbs and spices will keep this recipe healthy, but adding cheese and sour cream will add fat and sugar.
Store baked mini potatoes in the refrigerator in a covered container for up to 5 days. If you plan to make these ahead of time, serve them within a day for optimal freshness.
Baked Mini Potatoes
- 1 ½ lbs mini potatoes washed and dried
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoon coarse sea salt optional
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup chives
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ cup bacon bits
Oven Baked Method
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Put oil in a small bowl and sprinkle salt on a small plate.
- Leaving potatoes whole, dip in olive oil and roll in salt. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a fork easily pierces the potatoes.
- Remove baking sheet from the oven. Using tongs, transfer potatoes to a serving plate. Slice a cross in the top of each potato and gently squeeze to push the insides up. Add the optional toppings or your choice of other.
Air Fryer Method
- Preheat the air fryer to 375°F and set the time to 20 minutes. Spray or mix whole potatoes lightly with olive oil. Roll in salt (optional) and place in the air fryer basket or on the tray. Cook for 20 minutes. Gently pierce potato with a fork to check if they are cooked through. If not, continue cooking in 2 minute increments.
- Using tongs, transfer potatoes to a serving plate. Slice a cross in the top of each potato and gently squeeze to push the insides up. Add optional toppings, or your other favorite baked potato toppings.