Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes are made easily in the pressure cooker. These creamy sweet potatoes are mixed with yogurt, maple syrup, cinnamon, salt, and a dash of nutmeg. No butter or milk in this recipe, yet the combination of warming Fall spices, yogurt, and syrup creates a mouth-watering taste and an extra creamy texture!
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes are flavored with pure maple syrup and turned into creamy spoonfuls with the addition of yogurt instead of milk or butter. They are seasoned with salt, cinnamon, and a dash of nutmeg to compliment a cozy dinner.
I can't get enough of how simple the Instant Pot has made dinner time in my house.
There are countless reasons to love cooking in your Instant Pot. I've upgraded from the Instant Pot Duo Nova 7 in 1, 6-Quart Pressure Cooker to the 8 Quart Duo Crisp. They both are awesome, but I love that I can make air fryer recipes right in my Instant Pot now.
It is such a time saver and leaves me most nights with just one pot to clean. I especially love using my Instant Pot during the summer months when it's just too hot to turn on the oven or stovetop burners.
Making mashed sweet potatoes in your Instant Pot is such a breeze. But I have included the stovetop and slow cooker directions here, just in case you'd like to try those out instead.
I love sweet potatoes as a wholesome alternative to white potatoes. They provide us with an excellent dose of fiber and countless vitamins and minerals, especially vitamins C and B.
They are packed with the antioxidant beta-carotene, which we mostly hear about in carrots. The health benefits of sweet potatoes are rather incredible! It's more of a reason to love making sweet potatoes in your Instant Pot.
More Sweet Potato Recipes You'll Love
To make these mashed sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot, you need:
- sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- maple syrup, preferably pure and Organic for the best taste
- yogurt, plain Greek or regular
- chives or other fresh herbs, optional but they add a hint of flavor and color
This recipe comfortably serves 4 people. If you are making it for a larger family dinner, increase the ingredients proportionately.
Replace the chives in your mashed sweet potatoes with other fresh herbs. Parsley, oregano, and mint are great choices.
If you don't have an Instant Pot, or prefer to make mashed sweet potatoes in the slow cooker or on the stovetop, here is how to do it.
Instant Pot mashed sweet potatoes are incredibly easy to make. There aren't many tips needed to get this recipe right every time.
That's what makes it perfect for home cooks and those that aren't very experienced in the kitchen. Or for anyone not wanting to fuss with the nitty-gritty details of a recipe to get it perfect.
Because of its ease, it's also a great choice for Thanksgiving dinner when you may have lots of other recipes brewing in the kitchen at once.
Therefore, the only tips you need are:
- Cube the sweet potatoes into similar sizes so they all cook evenly and are done at the same time.
- Before draining the water when the pressure cooking completes, pierce the potatoes with a fork. If the fork goes through easily, they are done. If it doesn't, set the pressure cooker again to high for 3 minutes. Repeat until the potatoes are finished. If you cut the potatoes into ½-1 inch pieces, they should be done cooking as the recipe states, however.
If your mashed sweet potatoes came out too thin and creamy, add a thickening agent. You can use flour, cornstarch, powdered milk, tapioca, or gelatin. Follow the instructions on the package for using as a thickener.
🔪 Step-By-Step Directions
Here is how to make mashed sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot. Read a little further down for the stovetop or slow cooker directions.
First, add the cubed potatoes and water to the Instant Pot. Seal and set to pressure cook on high for 12 minutes. Let it perform a 10 minute natural release, followed by a quick release.
*To pressurize your pot correctly, use the recommended amount of water for your size pot. This is generally 1 - 1 ½ cups for a 6 quart and 1 ½ - 2 cups for an 8 quart. Consult your manual for your pot's correct amount.
Test the largest potato by piercing it with a fork. If the fork slides in easily, the potatoes are ready to be mashed. If not, set to pressure cook again for 3 minutes, then fork test again. Repeat as needed.
Next, add the yogurt, maple syrup, salt, and cinnamon. Mix until smooth. Taste and season as needed. Add a dash of nutmeg and mix well.
To serve, top individual bowls with fresh herbs. And enjoy!
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- pressure cooker
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- ½ tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp plain yogurt
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- nutmeg, to taste
- chives or other fresh herbs
- Add the sweet potatoes with water (1 ½ cups for a 6 quart and 2 cups for an 8 quart) to the Instant Pot. Seal the lid and set to pressure cook on high for 12 minutes.
- Allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then finish with a quick release. Carefully drain the water.
- Mash the potatoes and add yogurt, maple syrup, salt, and cinnamon. Mix until smooth.
- Taste and season with additional salt or cinnamon as desired. Add a dash of nutmeg to taste. Top with fresh herbs to serve.
📖 Slow Cooker Method
Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut into halves and put into the crockpot. Cover with water and set to cook on high for 6 hours or low for 4 hours.
Remove potatoes and mash. Add spices, herbs, and other ingredients according to the recipe instructions.
📖 Stove Top Method
Wash, peel, and cube the potatoes. Place in a large pot with enough water to cover. Set on high and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and simmer until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes.
Drain the water and mash. Add spices, herbs, and other ingredients according to the recipe.
And that's all there is to making Instant Pot mashed sweet potatoes. If you tried them, I'd love to hear what you thought in the comments below.
MORE RECIPES YOU'LL ENJOY