Make an Air Fryer Meatball Parmesan Sub with frozen meatballs in only 15 minutes! Little prep, little cleanup, and lots of flavor!
Making an air fryer meatball parmesan sub with frozen meatballs is an incredibly quick and simple, yet scrumptious and hearty, dinner.
Frozen meatballs are air fried for 8 minutes, then layered into a hoagie roll with lots of sauce and mozzarella cheese. Air fry the entire sandwich for a few more minutes and you've got a toasted meatball parmesan sub with warm and gooey melted cheese!
And if you've got leftover meatballs, serve them with Instant Pot spaghetti or a fresh tomato sauce and spaghetti dinner.
I have this air fryer instant pot combo, and it cooks up about 20 small frozen meatballs in 1 batch.
Prepping the rolls with cheese and sauce takes less time than it does the meatballs to cook, so you can have the sandwiches ready to go as soon as the meatballs are done.
My air fryer can fit 2 meatball subs in the basket, so I was able to make 4 sandwiches in less than 30 minutes.
This recipe has little prep, little cleanup but is big on flavor! A quick and easy weeknight dinner.
But don't save them just for dinner! Make mini air fryer meatball subs as a finger food for game days, Super Bowl parties, New Years Eve parties and more!
To make an air fryer meatball sub you need:
- Long hoagie/sub rolls
- Frozen meatballs: or homemade beef meatballs or turkey meatballs if you don't mind the extra time
- Mozzarella cheese: shredded and sliced both work
- Tomato sauce: a classic tomato sauce is the best or a homemade tomato sauce, if you're feeling adventurous
- Grated parmesan cheese
Air frying frozen meatballs is simple.
For cooked frozen meatballs, air fry at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Poke with a fork when the timer is done. Larger meatballs may need a few more minutes.
For raw frozen meatballs, cook for 12-14 minutes. Air fryers can vary slightly so always check a few minutes early so they don't become overcooked.
Raw frozen meatballs can be air fried at 400 degrees while cooked frozen meatballs should be cooked at 350 degrees. Since you are technically only defrosting them, a higher temperature could crisp the outside too quickly while leaving the inside cold.
💡 Tip: While using frozen meatballs is quick and convenient, homemade meatballs can also be used. Adjust cooking time to 12 minutes at 400 degrees, decreasing or increasing time as needed.
Dinner is simple with this 3 step recipe.
- Place the frozen meatballs in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Set to 8 minutes at 350 degrees. When done, remove from the basket and slice in half.
- While meatballs are air frying, slice the rolls. Spoon sauce on both sides of the roll and top with mozzarella cheese. On the bottom of the roll, add meatballs. Close the sandwich and face it up like a hot dog. Top with more mozzarella cheese and a sprinkle of parmesan.
- Place in the basket, still in hot dog form. If your machine has a broil option, set it to broil at 400 degrees for 6 minutes. If there is no broil, set to air fry at 400 degrees for 7 minutes.
Remove from the basket with tongs and enjoy!
Air fryer meatball subs are delicious on their own as a full meal or served with homemade garlic knots or a side salad.
💡 Tip: Make sure to check on the sandwiches halfway through, as some air fryers may cook quicker than others. The recommended time should make a meatball parmesan sandwich with a cheesy top that has slight browning.
Air Fryer Meatball Parmesan Sub
- 20 frozen meatballs
- 4 sub rolls
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Place the frozen meatballs in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Set to 8 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. When done, remove from the basket and slice in half.
- While meatballs are air frying, slice the rolls. Spoon sauce on both sides of the roll and top with mozzarella cheese. Add sliced meatballs. Close the sandwich and top with more mozzarella cheese and a sprinkle of parmesan.
- Place in the air fryer basket. If your machine has a broil option, set it to broil at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 6 minutes. If there is no broil, set to air fry at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 7 minutes.
- Remove with tongs, let cool, and enjoy.
How to Store
Air fryer meatball subs can be stored in the fridge for a day or so. To warm, pop back in the air fryer or toaster for a few minutes.
They also freeze well for about 3 months. This makes them a great freezer-friendly lunch or dinner for freezer meal prepping, new mom meal prepping, or storing leftovers that you won't eat within a few days.
I hope you've enjoyed this recipe! Please share how it turned out in the comments below.
If you enjoyed this recipe, make sure to give it a star rating and let me know what you thought in the comments! And follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for more delicious recipes!
Leave a Comment