Air fry salmon directly from frozen for an easy way to get dinner on the table fast! Use any type of raw, frozen salmon. Create your own marinade or seasoning blend or use a pre-seasoned fillet.
Knowing how to air fry frozen salmon is helpful for when you don't have time to defrost dinner, forget to do so, or just bought a delicious frozen piece of salmon and don't want to wait long to enjoy it.
You can air fry frozen salmon that has been pre-seasoned or marinated or plain salmon that you can create a homemade glaze or seasoning for. The key is to use raw and frozen salmon, not pre-cooked or fully cooked frozen salmon. The timing for this recipe is only for raw salmon fillets.
Use single portion salmon fillets or a large piece of salmon. Any type of frozen, uncooked salmons works here.
Why Air Fryer Frozen Salmon Works
Air fryer frozen salmon works because:
- it's simple and healthy, with little preparation.
- it's a great option when you forget to defrost dinner.
- you can use a frozen already seasoned or marinated salmon to make it extra easy.
- or use plain frozen salmon and season it with your favorite glaze, sauce, or dry rub.
- use a basket-style, oven-style, or the pressure cooker and air fryer lid combo...every air fryer works!
Just a frozen fillet of salmon and your desired seasoning, glaze, or marinade is all you need.
Seasoning and Marinade Suggestions
- Maple glaze
- Butter, dill, and lemon juice
- Mediterranean seasoning blend
- Jamaican jerk seasoning
- Freshly ground salt and black pepper
- Serve plain salmon topped with a fruit salsa, like mango pico de gallo or pineapple mango salsa
STEP 1: The first step to cooking frozen salmon in your air fryer is to defrost the salmon. I do this the same way I defrost my frozen chicken wings.
Set the air fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly oil the air fryer basket and place the salmon directly onto it (skin side down for salmon with the skin on). Cook for 10 minutes to defrost.
If you are using a marinade, prepare it while the salmon defrosts.
STEP 2: Once defrosted brush your marinade onto the salmon or season it with a dry mix of spices if it wasn't pre-seasoned.
STEP 3: Increase the temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Continue cooking the salmon for 8-12 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 145 at the thickest part and it easily flakes apart with a fork.
💡The above timing is for salmon that's about 1 ½ inches at its thickest spot. Very thin salmon may need less time and very thick salmon may need more. Remember that all air fryers are different so use these cook times as a guideline until you know what works for you.
Remove the salmon from the air fryer and let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.
💡Food safety guidelines recommend cooking salmon to an internal temperature of 145 degrees. However, many people like to cook salmon less done than this so as to not overcook it. For medium done salmon, cook until the temperature reaches 125-130 degrees.
What To Serve With Salmon
Air Fried Frozen Salmon Tips and Suggestions
Both skinless and skin-on salmon work with this recipe.
Yes, you can use fresh raw salmon instead of frozen salmon.
Skip the first step of defrosting the salmon and air fry for 8-12 minutes, or until the salmon comes to temperature.
No, the ounces of your salmon are not as important as it's thickness.
Air Fryer Frozen Salmon
- 24 oz frozen salmon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛-¼ cup seasoning blend or marinade of choice
- Set the air fryer to 350° Fahrenheit. Lightly oil the air fryer basket and place the salmon directly onto it (skin side down for salmon with the skin on). Cook for 10 minutes to defrost.
- Once defrosted. sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brush your marinade onto the salmon or season it with a dry mix of spices if it wasn't pre-seasoned (if desired).
- Increase the temperature to 375°F. Continue cooking the salmon for 8-12 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 145°F at the thickest part and it easily flakes apart with a fork.
- Remove salmon and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.