Make a cool, refreshing Frozen Strawberry Margarita in just minutes using only fresh ingredients and your kitchen blender. This recipe blends fresh strawberries and lime juice with tequila, triple sec and lots of ice to create a thick and delicious frozen boozy margarita.
Blended strawberry margaritas make a delicious, refreshing frozen cocktail. They are wonderful to enjoy when you're in need of a cool down during the hot spring and summer months.
But a frozen strawberry margarita is just as good anytime of year. Especially when accompanying your favorite Mexican dinner. Ahem— chicken taquitos, jalapeño cheddar chicken, or loaded beef and veggie nachos. Or with a strawberry margarita muffin.
Does it get much better than washing down your spicy, cheese-packed dinner with an ice cold fruity cocktail? I think not. After you try this margarita, make sure to check out how to make a frozen piña colada.
This blended strawberry margarita recipe uses silver tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, fresh strawberry, and ice.
It makes two 14 ounce margaritas, plus a little extra. Only 4 ounces of each is alcohol, though, and the rest is made of ice and strawberry.
Margaritas are strong cocktails. While a classic margarita is 4 ounces, 3 of them are alcohol. With 80-proof tequila, plus triple sec and other mix-ins like fruit, ice, and water, frozen margaritas can have a proof of between 15 and 35.
Proof varies greatly depending on your choice of alcohol and how much ice and strawberry you mix in. Premade mixes have less alcohol volume.
Yield: 2 large margaritas, plus more for topping off
Proof: ~30% ABV
This recipe goes with the 2-1-1 ratio.
2 parts tequila
1 part triple sec (Cointreau)
1 part lime juice
If you want to make a shaken margarita rather than a frozen one, you would simply add this to your cocktail shaker and shake. Then serve over ice, preferably in a glass with a salted rim.
Yes, you can! Replace the Cointreau (or other triple sec variety) with an orange liqueur, such as Grand Marnier.
How Can I Make a Frozen Margarita in a Blender?
Making a frozen strawberry margarita in a blender is as simple as adding all of your ingredients to the blender and pulsing until the drink is smooth and frothy.
I use my Instant Pot Ace Nova Cooking Blender for all of my blended drinks, including smoothies, frappuccinos, and frozen hot chocolate. The crushed ice and pulse settings both work perfectly to create a smooth, frothy frozen strawberry margarita without chunks of ice or berries.
It takes only a few minutes to put together and since this recipe uses only fresh ingredients, you get a margarita with the best flavor there is.
💭 Expert Tips
- For the best blended strawberry margarita, start with a quality silver (also called blanco) tequila. While top shelf isn't necessary, a good quality tequila will make your margarita the best it can be.
- Fresh squeezed lime juice gives the best flavor, but bottled works great too.
- If using the Instant Pot Ace Blenders, make sure to add the ingredients in the recommended order for cold beverages. This means you should add the liquids first, then the fruit, and the ice last.
- For the perfect frozen strawberry margarita that stays cold and frozen, wet the rim of the glass with water. Then turn it upside down into a plate of sugar to line the rim with the sugar. Chill the glasses in the fridge for about 15-30 minutes before blending the margarita.
- Use fresh, fully ripe strawberries during the summer season for the best flavor. During the winter months, frozen strawberries will do just fine.
🔪 Step-By-Step Directions
To make a frozen strawberry margarita, follow these simple steps:
- Add the tequila, lime juice, and Cointreau to the blender first. Then add washed and hulled strawberries, followed by ice.
- If using any of the IP Ace Blenders, pulse on speed 10 for 40 seconds. For other blenders, pulse until the margarita is smooth and frothy. This is generally between 30 seconds and 1 minute depending on the strength of your blender.
- Pour into a glass that has been chilled and lined with sugar. Garnish with strawberry and lime slices.
Frozen Strawberry Margarita
- 2 oz lime juice
- 2 oz Cointreau
- 4 oz silver tequila
- 12 large strawberries, washed and hulled
- 3 cups ice
- Add the ingredients to the blender in the order listed.
- Pulse on high speed for 30-60 seconds, until the drink is smooth and frothy. If using the Instant Pot Ace Cooking Blenders, pulse on speed 10 for 40 seconds.
- Line a margarita glass with sugar by wetting the rim and dipping it into a plate of white sugar. Pour the frozen margarita in and garnish with lime and strawberry slices.
🍹 Margarita Variations
- If you prefer a margarita on the weaker side, use less tequila or a triple sec brand with a lower proof than Cointreau.
- For a thicker margarita, use more ice. And if you prefer a thinner frozen margarita, use less ice.
- For a fruitier margarita, add extra strawberries.
- Create a custom margarita by adding other fruits. Mango, pineapple, kiwi, peach, raspberry, and banana all go well with strawberry.
I hope you enjoy your refreshing frozen strawberry margarita and will let me know how it turned out in the comments below.