Strawberry Lemon Bread is a super moist and perfectly lemony bread recipe. It's made with fresh chopped strawberries, fresh squeezed lemons, and lemon zest. A delicious summer snack or treat!
Strawberry Lemon Bread is a super moist and refreshing bread filled with juicy strawberries and tangy lemon.
This delicious bread is incredibly moist and packed with sweet strawberry flavor. Lemon juice and lemon zest give it a refreshing tangy taste, making it a perfect summer dessert.
When the summer farmer markets fill with ripe seasonal fruits, it's the perfect time for making lots of fruity breads, muffins, and snacks.
A quick bread is batter-type bread rather than a yeast bread. Quick breads get their leavening (rising) from baking powder, eggs, and in some cases, baking soda.
They are very similar to muffins and are more cake-like than bread-like. Generally, quick breads are baked in loaf pans or muffin tins.
I bake quick breads in muffin tins for just-right proportions, meal prepping, and for already proportioned freezer storage.
You can even bake them in mini muffin tins, like I did with these chocolate banana bread bites. They are the perfect size for kids' snacks and lunch boxes!
Quick breads are easy breads to make and are perfect for beginning bread makers.
They are a fun bread with endless options for add ins. You can easily create your own quick bread recipe, as long as you follow the no-fail formula for ingredient ratios.
💡No-Fail Quick Bread Formula
You can easily turn this strawberry lemon bread into your own version of quick bread by following the appropriate ingredient ratio.
This is a no-fail formula for making all different flavors of super moist and delicious quick breads.
Begin with 2 cups of flour. This makes 1 large loaf. Increase or decrease the ingredients proportionality when making a smaller or larger loaf.
For every 2 cups of flour use:
- Sweeteners: ¾ cup
- Leavening agent: 1 tbsp of baking powder
- Salt: ¾ tsp
- Spices: up to 2 tsp using a combination of ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and cardamom
Dry Add-Ins (use a total of 2 ¼ cup)
- Fruit: apple, mango, strawberry, blueberry, cherry, raisin, raspberry, apricot, cranberry
- Nuts: walnuts, pecans, pistachios, or other nuts
- Chocolate chips: milk, dark, white, mint, semi-sweet, peanut butter, butterscotch
- Other: shredded coconut, chia seeds, poppy seeds
- Milk: 1 cup milk, buttermilk, or milk alternative
- Eggs: 2 eggs or 2 flax eggs
- Extract: 1 tsp of vanilla extract
Wet Add-Ins (optional, use up to ½ cup and reduce milk by amount you use)
- lemon juice
- mashed banana
Fat (a total of ½ cup)
- Oil: olive oil, coconut oil, or other type of oil
- Butter: unsalted butter or ghee
Additional Flavorings (optional, limit to one)
- Zest: lemon. lime, orange
- Extracts: almond, orange, lemon, peppermint
*My favorite add in here is lemon zest to make different types of lemonade bread
👩🍳 Quick Bread Step-By-Step
Once you've decided on your ingredients, the process of making quick bread goes like this:
- Combine the dry ingredients.
- Combine the wet ingredients and add-ins. Add to the dry.
- Add the fat.
- Fold in the dry add-ins.
This list was adapted from Fine Cooking. For more details on how to create your own quick bread, see this informative post.
In addition to baking it in the loaf pan or muffin tins, you can use your bread machine on the quick bread cycle.
To make this strawberry lemon bread, you need:
- fresh strawberries
- freshly squeezed lemons and grated lemon zest
- all purpose flour
- white sugar
- ground ginger
- salt + baking powder
- olive oil
- vanilla extract
Here are some simple substitutions if you are missing an ingredient from the list.
- Replace the olive oil with butter or coconut oil
- Use flax eggs instead of regular eggs
- Replace cow's milk with plain or vanilla almond milk, or use homemade buttermilk
- Use cinnamon or nutmeg instead of ginger
- Replace the white sugar with brown sugar
- Replace some of the strawberries with blueberries for an extra fruity sweet bread!
Lemon bread recipes are delicious with not only ginger, but with nutmeg or cinnamon, or a combination of both.
They are also fantastic with a variety of fruits, so feel free to add another berry, like blueberries or raspberries to the batter.
Just make sure to keep your chopped fresh fruits at no more than 1 ½ cups for every 2 cups of flour when making quick bread.
🔪 Step-By-Step Directions
Strawberry lemon bread is a 3 step recipe:
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. This is the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and ginger.
- In a measuring cup, mix the wet ingredients. This includes the milk, eggs, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and lemon zest, but not the olive oil. Add to the dry ingredients and mix to incorporate the dry and wet.
- Now add the oil and mix again. Add the strawberries and fold into the batter.
Last, pour the batter into a greased bread pan and bake for 50-60 minutes. The time depends mostly on your oven, so check if it's done by inserting a toothpick into the center.
The bread will be a beautiful golden brown on the top, with bright red plump strawberries peeping through. The toothpick will come out clean when finished.
Strawberry Lemon Bread
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp ginger
- 7 ounces milk (1 cup minus 2 tablespoons)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ cups fresh strawberries, chopped
- ½ cup olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350° and grease a loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and ginger.
- Mix the milk, eggs, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Add the the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Add the olive oil and mix until well combined.
- Fold in the strawberries.
- Pour in the greased loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let rest for 30 minutes before removing from pan.
🍽 Serving and Storing
Serve strawberry lemon bread with whipped cream or cool whip, or toasted with a dab of butter or cream cheese.
Counter Storage: keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Fridge Storage: keeps in the fridge for about 2 weeks.
Freezer Storage: store in a freezer baggie for around 6 months.
I hope that you've enjoyed making this incredibly scrumptious strawberry lemon bread! Let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I’d love to hear from you.