This easy and flavorful Instant Pot Shredded Beef recipe is a great filling for tacos, burritos, enchiladas and sandwiches. This versatile shredded beef is also delicious in rice bowls, salads, and more.
If you're looking for a quick and easy meal that's bursting with flavor, look no further than Instant Pot Shredded Beef. This versatile dish has a Mexican flair and can be used in tacos, burritos, salads, or simply served on its own alongside rice and black beans.
And the best part? With an Instant Pot, it takes just a fraction of the time it would traditionally take to cook this delicious meal on the stove or in the oven. It's similar to slow cooked beef birria and barbecue chicken thighs, just made in the pressure cooker in a lot less time. It's an easy hands-off recipe with essentially no preparation time and very little clean up!
So whether you're looking for a great recipe to impress dinner guests, or simply want a satisfying meal for yourself, this Instant Pot Mexican shredded beef recipe will leave your taste buds dancing with delight.
- Boneless beef chuck roast: the beef should be cut into 2-3 inch pieces.
- Beef broth: or beef stock.
- Worcestershire sauce
- Seasonings: chili powder, onion powder, ancho chili powder, dried oregano, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, salt and pepper.
STEP 1: Add all of the ingredients to the inner pot of the pressure cooker and stir well. *In many Instant Pot recipes it's recommended not to stir the ingredients before cooking, but in a recipe like this for making pulled beef, it's completely fine to mix everything together.
STEP 2: Close and seal the pressure cooker lid. Set to high pressure for 16 minutes (or 8 minutes per pound of meat). When done, naturally release the pressure for at least 15 minutes, then quickly release any remaining pressure.
STEP 3: Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked beef to a large cutting board and drain about half of the liquid from the inner pot. Shred the beef using two forks, then return to the pot with the remaining liquid. Stir well and let sit for about 10 minutes, so the beef can soak up extra flavor.
Serve your Instant Pot shredded beef in tacos, quesadillas, rice bowls, salads, etc., or enjoy alongside these tasty Instant Pot Mexican black beans and rice or veggies.
Ways To Serve Mexican Shredded Beef
- Mix into salads with avocado, tomatoes, corn, and beans
- Toss with fresh roasted vegetables, such as green beans, for a low-carb dinner
- Alongside Mexican street corn pasta salad or roasted corn on the cob
- On top of loaded sheet pan nachos
- Stuffed into a baked sweet potato
- Use it as the stuffing in traditional tacos, fried tacos, or birria style tacos
- Mix into scrambled eggs for breakfast or add it to a breakfast style burrito
- Add to this chilaquiles rojos recipe
- Use as the filling in these air fried taquitos or pan-fried taquitos
- With spicy air fryer jalapeño poppers
- Make a rice or grain bowl with some greens and vegetables
How To Store and Reheat Instant Pot Shredded Beef
Storing: Keep shredded beef in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days. It can be frozen in freezer safe bags for up to 6 months.
Reheating: Reheat shredded beef in the microwave for 2-3 minutes or in a pot on the stovetop over medium heat until the juices just begin to boil. Thaw frozen shredded beef in the fridge overnight, then follow the instructions prior for reheating.
Yes, shredded beef can be prepared up to 1 week prior to serving, or up to 6 months if freezing before use.
Yes. To make this recipe in a slow cooker, add all ingredients to the crockpot and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours. Follow the instructions in the recipe card for shredding and serving.
Yes, it can be frozen in freezer safe bags or containers for up to 6 months for optimal quality.
Boneless chuck roast should be pressure cooked on high pressure for 8 minutes per pound of meat. It's important to let the pressure naturally release for 10-20 minutes when cooking meat to prevent it from drying out. This recipe will take about 40 minutes from start to finish (10 minutes for pressure to build, 16 minutes to cook, and 15 minutes to release pressure).
Making Instant Pot shredded beef is not only easy and convenient but also a delicious way to satisfy your tastebuds. With just a few simple steps, you can have perfectly tender and flavorful shredded beef that can be used in a variety of dishes. Enjoy!
Instant Pot Shredded Beef
- 2 lbs chuck roast cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- ½ tablespoon ancho chili powder
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- Add all ingredients to the inner pot of the pressure cooker. Stir well.
- Close and seal the pressure cooker lid. Set to high pressure (or manual) for 16 minutes (see notes below for cook times). When done, naturally release the pressure for 15 minutes, then quickly release the remaining pressure.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked beef to a large cutting board. Shred beef using two forks.
- Drain about half of the liquid from the inner pot. Put the shredded beef back into the pot with the remaining liquid. Stir well and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Serve shredded beef in tacos, quesadillas, rice bowls, salads, and more.
If you enjoyed this recipe, make sure to give it a star rating and let me know what you thought in the comments! And follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for more delicious recipes!
This is such a convenient recipe to make a large batch and keep it in the freezer to make quick weeknight dinners. Love the many serving suggestions that you have mentioned. I can't wait to use shredded beef in many other ways except just in tacos.
I've been trying alot of new taco recipes lately and I think this beef would go really well with them.
Amy Liu Dong
I am a fan of making an easy recipe like this. I made for dinner and everyone loves it!
This shredded beef was so delicious, and your easy-to-follow instructions made cooking it a breeze. It was the perfect meal for our busy weeknight. We'll definitely be making it again!
Enriqueta E Lemoine
I made this shredded beef to stuff Venezuelan arepas; I have to tell you this recipe is extremely delicious, flavorful, and yummy! Plus, it's so easy to make. Thank you!
Wow! Such an incredible beef dish! It looks incredibly delicious! The juicy texture makes it very appealing! I'll definitely make this for the family!
This is such a great shredded beef recipe, so easy and delicious. I actually used the beef in a cottage pie. Everybody loved it!
Such a great meal to make with the instant pot and perfect for leftovers too! This sounds so delicious I could meal prep a lot with this ^_^
Lauren Michael Harris
We made this shredded beef for tacos last night. I loved how easy it was to make in the Instant Pot and it turned out SO good! We will definitely use this recipe again.
I made this Instant Pot shredded beef to serve for our early Cinco de Mayo party this past weekend. My guests were fighting over the leftovers it was so good and full of flavor.