This Instant Pot Barbecue Chicken recipe makes a sweet and zesty pulled bbq chicken that's great for sandwiches, American-style taquitos and quesadillas, and as a pizza and flatbread topping. The Instant Pot makes it easy— cooked in only 8 minutes, you get a big pot of zesty pulled chicken fast!
Instant Pot Barbecue Chicken is a set it and forget it recipe— throw all the ingredients into the pressure cooker and walk away!
This even includes staying away from the pot when the cooking is done. Leave it to do a natural release, which keeps the chicken juicy and tender.
Chicken is mixed with barbecue sauce, dressing, garlic powder and salt + pepper and pressure cooked for a short 8 minutes. That's all it takes to create an irresistible and juicy barbecue chicken that the whole family will enjoy.
Instant Pot pulled bbq chicken can be made with your favorite barbecue sauce and Italian dressing for a flavor you're guaranteed to love.
*All of my recipes are tested in the 8 qt Instant Pot Duo Crisp but also work in the 6 qt Instant Pot.
One of the most popular uses for pulled chicken is as a sandwich stuffer. But it doesn't need to be reserved just for sandwiches. It has many uses, such as on pizza and flatbreads. Use pulled bbq chicken as a filling for non-traditional tacos, taquitos, quesadillas, and even nachos.
It's also delicious on top of a big baked sweet potato if you're looking for a low-carb dinner.
Pulled barbecue chicken is incredibly tender, so it's also a great option for young kids who still have difficulty chewing tough meats or have texture sensitivities.
How To Use Pulled Barbecue Chicken
- as a sandwich stuffer
- to make barbecue chicken pizza or flatbread pizza
- as a filler for quesadillas
- as a filler for taquitos, mixed with mozzarella cheese
- in place of traditional Mexican-seasoned beef to make nachos!
- mix into rice bowls
- as a filler for lettuce wraps
- Chicken breasts: or a combination or breasts and thighs, fresh or frozen
- Barbecue sauce: your favorite, good quality sauce
- Italian dressing
- Garlic powder
- Salt + pepper
- Add 1 cup of water, the chicken, barbecue sauce, Italian dressing, water, garlic powder, salt and pepper to the pot. Do not mix.
- Seal the lid and set the pressure cooker to high for 8 minutes. It will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure. Let complete a full natural release when finished.
- Remove the chicken to a cutting board and shred with a fork. Return to the sauce and mix to coat the chicken fully.
- If sauce is too watery for your preference, thicken it prior to returning the chicken to the pot. To thicken, add 1 teaspoon of cornstarch to ¼ cup of cold water. Stir to dissolve, then add to the sauce and stir. Set to saute for 2 minutes and repeat if necessary.
Instant Pot Barbecue Chicken
- 1 cup water
- 1 lb boneless chicken breasts *see notes
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup Italian dressing
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Add water to the Instant Pot, followed by the chicken, barbecue sauce, Italian dressing, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Do not stir. Seal the lid and set to pressure cook on high for 8 minutes. The pot will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure.
- Allow to complete a full natural release when cook time has finished. Then transfer chicken to a cutting board and shred with a fork. Return to the pot and mix to coat chicken. If desired, thicken sauce by adding ¼ cup of cold water mixed with 1 teaspoon of cornstarch to the sauce and saute for 2 minutes.
- Serve on sandwiches, pizza, flatbreads, mixed into rice bowls or use as filling for quesadillas and tacos.
- Use a thermometer to ensure the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees. If it hasn't cooked fully, use the saute mode in 2 minute increments until it reaches 165 degrees. You can see the official Instant Pot cooking time guidelines here.
- If using frozen chicken breasts, extend the cook time to 10 minutes.
- Extra sauce can be reserved for later use as a marinade. Freeze for up to 6 months.
How to Store
Fridge: store in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Freezer: freeze for up to 6 months.
Defrost in the fridge overnight or use the microwave for a quick thaw.
I hope you enjoy this easy barbecue chicken recipe and will let me know how it turns out in the comments below!
If you enjoyed this recipe, make sure to give it a star rating and let me know what you thought in the comments! And follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for more delicious recipes!
This looks incredibly delicious. Yum! I am so excited to try this.
What a great idea to make barbecue chicken in an IP! Love how easy it is to make but comes out with amazing flavors.
I love all of the options that you can use this chicken for!! It sounds yum and too easy. Can't wait to give it a go, thanks!
Wow! This is fabulous and so easy and absolutely a family favorite! Yum!
I love that this chicken is made in an Instant Pot! BBQ Chicken is the perfect shredded filling for any sandwich!
This barbecue chicken turned out delicious and it's so easy to make! I enjoyed over toasted buns just like your photos. Thanks for the recipe!
Thank you for the recipe, it was absolutely delicious and we all loved it!