Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip is full of flavor and warmth, perfect for chilly fall and winter game days.
If you've ever made buffalo chicken dip or had it at a party, you know what an amazing crowd-pleasing dip it is.
It's a favorite for game days— and has come to be expected at Super Bowl parties.
Buffalo dip can even be made vegetarian in the form of buffalo cauliflower dip (no one will be able to tell— seriously!).
While I love the the slow cooker for busy days or while we're out, I love the Instant Pot equally for days when I want to have a mostly hands-off quick cooking experience.
Instant Pot buffalo chicken dip is made with sour cream, mozzarella cheese, and cream cheese. It's creamy, cheesy, and spicy. Because it uses jarred buffalo wing sauce, you control the heat and spice.
And it's quicker than the slow cooker. If you decide to make it at the last minute, it'll be ready in less than 30 minutes with the trusty Instant Pot.
You'll also need salt, pepper, and ranch seasoning.
If you're not a huge fan of sour cream, it can be replaced with the same amount of creamy ranch dressing.
Follow these 3 steps to make buffalo chicken dip in the Instant Pot.
- Add chicken breasts, buffalo sauce, and ½ cup of water to the Instant Pot. Set to pressure cook on high for 15 minutes. Do a quick release when complete.
- Remove the chicken and shred with a fork, then place back into the pot.
- Add cream cheese, mozzarella cheese, sour cream, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Set to saute on the normal temperature for 5 minutes. Stir continuously until the mozzarella is melted.
Serve buffalo chicken dip topped with chives, scallions, or blue cheese crumbles.
For dipping, serve it with crackers, celery, carrots, bell peppers, toasted bread slices, and your other favorite sliced veggies.
Making buffalo chicken dip in an Instant Pot is incredibly easy as it is, but there are a few tips that may help if you're new to this dip or the Instant Pot.
- Use your favorite brand of buffalo sauce, as the dip will taste strongly of that flavor.
- You control the heat of the dip. For a more mild dip, choose a mild buffalo sauce. For an extra hot dip, go with a hot or extra hot dip. Like it somewhere in the middle? There are lots of medium heat buffalo sauces, too.
Yes, you can use frozen chicken breasts instead of thawed chicken breasts. Adjust the pressure cooking time to 20 minutes for frozen breasts.
If you're buffalo chicken ends up being too spicy, you can tame the heat by adding a spoonful or two of plain yogurt. If this doesn't lessen the spice enough, add more sour cream ¼ cup at a time or sprinkle it with sugar, ½ teaspoon at a time.
If you end up with lots of leftover dip use it to make sandwiches, use it as a topping on pizza, or make buffalo chicken pizza poppers. It can also be used to make buffalo chicken flatbreads or paninis. Leftover buffalo chicken dip can also be frozen until ready to eat again.
How to Store
Buffalo chicken dip can be kept for a week in the fridge. It is freezer-friendly and will last for around 6 months. However, the texture may change slightly due to the cream cheese.
That's all there is to making this delicious Instant Pot dip! I hope that you enjoy it and will let me know how it turns out in the comments below.
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 2 large chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- 1 ½ cups buffalo sauce mild, medium, or hot
- 1 tablespoon ranch seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- Add ½ cup water, chicken breasts, buffalo sauce, ranch seasoning, salt, and pepper to the Instant Pot. Do not stir. Close and seal the lid. Set to pressure cook on high for 12 minutes.
- Naturally release the steam for 10 minutes, then quickly release the remaining pressure. Remove the lid.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and shred with a fork. Put back into the Instant Pot.
- Add the cream cheese, sour cream and mozzarella cheese to the pot and stir until cheeses are melted and chicken and sauce is evenly combined.
- Option 1: Transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately. Top with chives, scallions, or blue cheese crumbles if desired and your choice of dippers: celery sticks, carrot sticks, bell peppers, crackers, crusty bread or tortilla chips.
- Option 2: Transfer dip to a oven-safe dish. Top with 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, ½ cup blue cheese crumbles, and chives or scallions. Put back into the Instant Pot and use the air fryer lid to air fry for 5 minutes at 400°F, or until cheese is melted and beginning to brown. Alternatively, put in the broiler at the same time and temperature.
MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES TO TRY
MORE BUFFALO-INSPIRED RECIPES TO TRY NEXT