This quick, family-friendly Spinach and Feta Flatbread Pizza takes only 15 minutes from start to finish. Use fresh spinach, feta, mozzarella, and red onions on a flatbread pizza to put a unique and healthy twist on the usual pizza night.
We love flatbread pizzas for pizza night. Everyone chooses their own toppings and puts them together themselves.
We love personal pizza as much as we love making a giant sheet pan nacho tray for dinner. Everyone picks a side of the tray and makes their own nachos.
Apparently around here when we let kids choose their own ingredients, they are more likely to eat. I'll take it!
Flatbread pizzas are also great for cleaning out the fridge. Pizza is so versatile that you can use mostly anything you have on hand as your toppings.
My new favorite flatbread recipe is this spinach and feta flatbread. I made this when we desperately needed to do some grocery shopping, and the spinach was in its last few days of life. We had feta from dinner the week before and I had no other plans for it.
With those ingredients and inspiration from the Mediterranean quesadilla I make for a weekend lunch, I put together this irresistible spinach and feta flatbread pizza.
To make spinach and feta flatbread pizza you need:
- Na’an bread: plain or garlic na’an
- Spinach: use fresh for optimal flavor, but if frozen is all you have, you can use that (always squeeze the water out of frozen spinach before using)
- Feta: I use thick feta crumbles
- Shredded mozzarella: whole milk mozzarella is preferred because it melts better than part-skim, which tends to brown more easily
- Red onions
- Sea salt
- Pepper and garlic powder
- Plain tomato sauce (optional)
Feta cheese is touted as one of the healthiest cheeses because of its high protein and positive effects on the immune system. It has a strong flavor, so if you aren't familiar with it, it may be better to use a little less than this recipe calls for.
Because of feta's saltiness, this recipe includes just a pinch of sea salt. Do not substitute with table salt. Coarse sea salt will add a little zing in some bites, but won't make a salty pizza like table salt would.
The combination of spinach and feta makes any meal satisfying, healthy, and just a little salty and savory. They also make a great combo in pastries, like this spinach and feta parcels recipe.
Making spinach and feta flatbread pizza is super easy! It takes minutes to prepare and minutes to bake.
First, slice the onions and garlic and saute in a small pan with olive oil for about 3 minutes, until the onions begin to caramelize and are soft.
While those are cooking, preheat your toaster oven to 450 degrees. If you prefer to use your standard oven you can do that too.
Next, spread a little bit of tomato sauce on the na'an. Then layer with mozzarella, pepper, garlic powder, spinach, onion, garlic, and feta. Sprinkle the sea salt over top.
Bake your spinach and feta flatbread for 10-12 minutes.
The feta will not melt much, so you'll know it's done when the mozzarella cheese begins to brown.
Spinach and Feta Flatbread Pizza
- 1 naan bread
- ½ cup sliced red onions
- 5 cloves garlic, thickly sliced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp ground pepper
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup fresh spinach, torn
- feta cheese crumbles
- Place a pizza stone or pan in the oven and preheat to 500° (or a convection oven at 450°).
- Saute onions and garlic in a little oil over medium heat until they start to caramelize, about 4 minutes.
- Spread the mozzarella cheese on the na'an and sprinkle with pepper, garlic powder, and sea salt. Add the spinach, red onions and garlic. Top with feta cheese.
- Bake 10-12 minutes on the preheated pan.
Spinach, feta, and mozzarella are a great combination to use on more than just flatbread pizza. You can use this pizza topping:
- on a homemade thin crust pizza dough (for the bread machine or by hand)
- as the stuffing on a quesadilla
- make it a spinach, onion and feta salad, complete with almonds or chickpeas for extra crunch and protein
And that's all there is to making a spinach and flatbread pizza. I hope you enjoyed it!
If you tried this tasty spinach and feta flatbread pizza, I'd love to hear what you thought. Please let me know in the comments below.