Ditch the deep fryer and learn how to make flavorful and crispy Air Fryer Frozen Sweet Potato Fries! With 2 easy tricks and a bag of frozen fries, you'll have this delicious side dish ready to serve in less than 20 minutes.
Air fryer frozen sweet potato fries are a delicious side dish for so many dinners. Serve with juicy air fried hot dogs, hamburgers, grilled or breaded air fried chicken, barbecue cheddar flavored meatloaf and so much more!
I have three different style air fryers and use them all for fries. This recipe works in my Duo Crisp basket-style air fryer just as much as it does in my Instant Omni Plus oven-style air fryer. The key difference is how many fries you can fit in at once. And remember that air fryers vary in their power so yours make cook in more or less time than mine so use this recipe as a guide and not a
And if you love sweet potatoes, try making whole roasted sweet potatoes in your air fryer next!
WHY YOU'LL LOVE AIR FRIED FROZEN SWEET POTATO FRIES:
- Easy! Unlike making homemade fries which require lots of slicing and soaking, just dump a bag of frozen sweet potato fries into the air fryer and you're good to go!
- Healthier than deep frying! When air frying fries, we eliminate most if not all of the oil that's used. Even when I do use oil, it's always extra virgin olive oil and not much is needed.
- Easy clean up. This is a mess-free method to making crispy sweet potato fries. No splattered oil all over your kitchen counters or stove!
- It's quick. The air fryer saves us time. There is no big oven to wait to heat up, nor a large pot of oil to wait to come to deep-frying temperature.
There are 2 key steps to making crispy, rather than soggy, frozen sweet potato fries in the air fryer:
- Spread them into an even layer without touching as best you can (so you'll probably have to cook in batches).
- Spritz with olive oil or vegetable oil before air frying.
Follow these simple suggestions and you'll love how crispy your sweet potato fries turn out!
All you need to air fry frozen sweet potato fries is:
- A bag of sweet potato fries: found in the freezer section of your grocery store, go with your favorite brand. I love julienne cut Alexia sweet potato fries. You can also use waffle cut.
- Oil spray: I always use extra virgin olive oil, but any type of neutral cooking oil works. The oil is sprayed onto the fries before cooking to make them crispy.
- Freshly ground black pepper: all you really need to counter that sweet flavor with a little spice!
Optionally, season your fries prior to air frying. Salt and freshly ground black pepper are all it takes to give this already sweet and flavorful side dish a little kick. Sprinkle them with a mix of herbs, like oregano, thyme and parsley. Oregano and pepper is one of my favorite simple seasonings for sweet potatoes. Tostones french fry seasoning is also a great seasoning for all kinds of french fries.
Tips For Air Frying Sweet Potato Fries
You really shouldn't stack sweet potato fries, as this tends to make soft and soggy fries. A single layer is best to produce crispy and crunchy sweet potato fries.
If you absolutely don't want to cook them in a single layer, that's okay. You can stack them but know that your fries may turn out soft instead of crispy. If stacked, definitely make sure to shake the basket at the halfway mark, so they air fry as evenly as possible.
If your air fryer has a preheat setting it's always best to use it. Will it make a significant difference in the outcome if you don't preheat your air fryer? Probably not.
There is no need to line your air fryer basket with parchment paper.
Yes, flipping or tossing is key to air frying fries evenly.
Because of their already sweet flavor, they don't need much seasoning. Lots of freshly ground black pepper is my favorite. A little salt, garlic salt, oregano, parsley, thyme, and cajun seasoning also taste fantastic.
STEP 1: Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (if your air fryer has a preheat setting) and set the time to 15 minutes. Once heated, spray the air fryer basket lightly with oil and carefully arrange sweet potato fries in a single layer. Spritz with oil to completely coat the fries and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.
STEP 2: At the "turn food" notice, or halfway through if your air fryer does not give this notice, flip the sweet potato fries. Continue air frying until time is up, or until the fries are as crispy as you'd like them.
Remove from the air fryer using tongs. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce, like ketchup, barbecue sauce, garlic aioli, or a zesty mayo and sour cream dip like I make in my air fried onion petals. Enjoy!
How To Store
Store air fryer sweet potato fries in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container or wrapped in foil. To reheat, use the microwave or air fryer and spritz lightly with oil so that they crisp up again.
In the freezer, sweet potato fries will keep for up to 6 months when stored in airtight freezer safe bags.
If you enjoyed this recipe, make sure to give it a star rating and let me know what you thought in the comments! And follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for more delicious recipes!
Air Fryer Frozen Sweet Potato Fries
- 15 oz bag of frozen sweet potato fries
- olive oil spray or vegetable oil spray
- freshly ground black pepper
- seasonings of choice optional
- Preheat the air fryer to 400° Fahrenheit (if your air fryer has a preheat setting) and set the time to 15 minutes. Once heated, spray the air fryer basket lightly with oil and carefully arrange sweet potato fries in a single layer. Spritz with oil to completely coat the fries and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.
- At the "turn food" notice, or halfway through if your air fryer does not give this notice, flip or shake the sweet potato fries. Continue air frying until time is up, or until the fries are as crispy as you'd like them.
- Remove from the air fryer using tongs and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
We LOVE this method for using frozen fries and have made them several times. Fabulous recipe!
Thank you for the tips! I love using my air fryer for sweet potato fries! Now they will get even better! 🙂
My fries came out perfect! nice and crispy! Thanks for the tips
We love sweet potatoes!:) This Air Fryer Frozen Sweet Potato Fries looks good! Yum. We will be having this as a snack tomorrow. Thanks!:)