Homemade garlic bread is a tried and true versatile bread recipe that pairs with many classics - from pasta to bruschetta toasts to dips for parties. This is a simple, fluffy and delicious homemade Bread Machine Garlic Bread recipe. It will make your house smell great and your tastebuds wishing for more!
Instead of kneading bread yourself, the bread machine does it for you. Instead of timing the resting stage of yeast breads, the bread machine does it for you. And instead of dirtying multiple bowls, the bread machine becomes a 1 pan mixer, riser, and cooker!
With the right recipe, bread machines bake bread perfectly and are a no-fail way to have successfully baked breads every time.
This homemade bread machine garlic bread was first created to go with Instant Pot broccoli cheddar mac and cheese on one of the first chilly nights of the season. This test run at making garlic bread in the bread machine was the only test run necessary.
It came out perfect. Fluffy and tender, not a bit dry or crumbly! It was so good that we ate almost half the loaf before dinner was even ready.
Not to mention the smell of fresh garlic that made its way through the house as the bread machine worked its magic...
The next week, on another Instapot dinner night, I made it to go along with Instant Pot spaghetti and meat sauce. But I had run out of bread flour and tried it with all purpose instead.
It was good, but the garlic bread made with bread flour was significantly fluffier and softer. So much that I would not suggest using all-purpose flour and bread flour interchangeably in this recipe.
🍞 Bread Machine Recommendations
I own a well-loved Cuisinart Automatic Bread Maker with 3 loaf size options: 1, 1.5, and 2 pounds. It is a pricy bread machine but comes with 12 different functions and 3 crust colors as well.
I have made about half the recipes in the included recipe book, and I have virtually no complaints. The instruction manual is extensive and well-written.
So if you are in the market for a bread machine or looking for a new one to replace what you have, I highly recommend this Cuisinart machine. While it's the only bread maker I've owned, I imagine that other Cuisinart bread makers are comparable to this one.
The second best thing compared to freshly baked bread, is knowing that there are minimal ingredients in it. Have you ever looked at the ingredients on store bought breads? So many of them include endless lists of ingredients, many that you have probably never even heard of.
To make this bread machine garlic bread, you need just 5 ingredients:
- bread flour
- olive oil
- minced garlic cloves
- warm water (about 120 degrees)
*You can use instant, active dry, or bread maker yeast. However, I have only made this with active dry yeast. According to baking standards, the other 2 yeasts should produce the same results.
💭 Expert Tips
- Always test your yeast before starting. It's really important to make sure that your yeast is still "alive". If the yeast is dead, the bread won't rise and you'll have to start over. To test your yeast, add 1 tsp sugar and 2 ¼ tsp of yeast to ¼ cup of warm water. Wait 5 minutes. If it foams, then it's good to use! If not, you need new yeast.
- Use a thermometer to make sure your water is not too hot nor too cold. Water that is too cold will not activate the yeast and water that is too hot will kill your yeast. Both will cause your bread not to rise.
- The best type of flour to use in this recipe is bread flour. The difference between bread flour and all purpose flour is the protein content. Bread flour has a higher protein content. Therefore it will rise slightly more and absorb a little more water than all purpose flour. How does this affect homemade garlic bread? Using bread flour will give you a little more rise, fluffiness, and softness. Stick with bread flour for any yeast bread whenever possible.
🔪 Step-By-Step Directions
Bread machine garlic bread is a 1 step recipe. It doesn't get easier than that, and that is why I love using my bread machine!
First, put all of your ingredients in the bread machine in the order listed for Cuisinart machines. Then set the machine to the basic/white bread function, choose the 1.5 lb loaf size and preferred crust color. Select start. Now wait and let the machine do all the work!
For non-Cuisinart machines, put in the ingredients in the order suggested by your machine's instructions. Then choose the loaf size and crust color if your machine has these options.
Once the bread is finished, remove the pan from the machine using an oven mitt. Shake the bread out onto a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
Bread Machine Garlic Bread
- bread machine
- 1 cup warm water (approximately 120°)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ¼ tsp yeast (instant, active dry, or bread maker)
- Add the ingredients in the order listed to the bread maker pan. Select the basic/white bread setting, choose the 1.5 lb loaf size and your prefered crust color. These are instructions for a Cuisinart bread maker. For other brands, refer to the instruction manual for the correct order to add ingredients.
- Optional: At the end of the third kneading cycle, signaled with 6 beeps, remove the kneading paddle. If you miss this step, remove the paddle using oven mitts after the bread cools.
- When baking is complete, remove and cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before slicing.
🍽 Serving and Storing
In addition to eating homemade garlic bread warmed with a little butter on top or dipped into your favorite pasta sauce on pasta night, it's great with these recipes:
- Toast and top with Balsamic Bruschetta
- A side for One Pot Ricotta Lemon Pasta
- A side for Creamy One Pot Pasta
- A dipping bread for Vegetable Soup with Noodles
- A dipping bread for Spinach Tortellini Soup with Parmesan
- Easy Instant Pot Chili (The Best Chili in 45 Minutes!)
- As the bread on top of Traditional French Onion Soup
Anyway you slice it, homemade bread machine garlic bread is a simple recipe that cannot be beat!
Homemade garlic bread is freezer-friendly and can be stored for up to 6 months in an airtight plastic bag. It keeps well at room temperature for around 3 days and in the fridge for around 5.
I hope that you enjoy this easy bread machine garlic bread recipe! I'd love to hear how your homemade garlic bread turned out in the comments below.