Bread Machine Zucchini Bread is a delicious way to eat fresh zucchini this summer! This zucchini bread recipe uses honey instead of refined sugar and applesauce instead of butter or oil, making it low in fat. And high in deliciousness! Making zucchini bread with applesauce and honey in the bread machine is as simple as can be: throw in all of ingredients and let the bread machine mix and bake for you!
This bread machine zucchini bread is a unique recipe.
It uses applesauce and honey instead of oil, butter, and refined sugar. This makes it a little healthier, tastier, and perfectly moist.
Plus, we are making it in the bread machine so there is basically no work on your part.
Just gather your ingredients, put them into the machine, and watch and wait. So easy!
I've also included instructions for making it by hand, so if you don't have a bread machine you can still make this fantastic zucchini bread.
Zucchini is a great vegetable to bake with.
It's water content is perfect for helping to make moist breads and muffins. Zucchini adds an abundant amount of nutrients to your baked goods, too.
🍞 Bread Machine Benefits
Why do I love making bread in the bread machine? It’s so simple! You don’t even need to think about what you’re doing.
And it’s a great machine for kids to learn to use too. Unless it’s baking and is hot, it’s relatively safe. There are no sharp pieces or tools. All kids need to do is add ingredients to one attached bowl. There’s little chance they’ll knock anything over or spill any ingredients. And if your kids are like my daughter, they’ll be fascinated as they watch the ingredients mix together to form a dough. It’s a great science and STEM activity.
To make this bread machine zucchini bread with applesauce and honey, you will need:
- unsweetened applesauce
- shredded zucchini
- flour- baking powder-salt-baking soda
- walnuts for topping (optional)
For quick bread (bread that doesn't need time to rise) all purpose flour is perfect. It has a low protein content that works well when creating breads that are dense and don't need to rise.
Bread flour is an okay alternative. But it has a higher amount of protein and gluten, which creates a chewy, airy bread so the texture will be a little different.
Yes, use ¾ cup of whole wheat flour for every 1 cup of all purpose flour called for in a recipe when making this substitution.
You will need a bread machine to make this zucchini bread recipe. I have a Cuisinart Automatic Bread Maker.
If you have a different brand, it’s important to read the instructions so you know the order your ingredients should go in.
My recipe here is for the order that Cuisinart recommends for their machines and yours might be different. You can still follow my recipe, but change the order that you add the ingredients to the pan.
🔪 Bread Machine Instructions
To make it, follow these 3 steps:
- Spray the bread pan with oil.
- Add ingredients to the bread pan in the order listed, except for walnuts. Set machine to the "quick bread function".
- When the batter is done mixing, remove the paddle and top with walnuts if using. Close lid and let bake for the 90 minutes (it will choose this time automatically).
🔪 By Hand Instructions
Don't have a bread machine? That's okay, too. You can still easily make this zucchini bread recipe by hand.
- Mix the dry ingredients first.
- Mix the wet ingredients (including the zucchini).
- Add the wet to the dry and mix just to combine.
- Bake in a greased bread pan for 45-60 minutes at 350 degrees. Ovens vary greatly, so start checking it with a toothpick at the 45 minute mark.
Zucchini bread is fantastic eaten plain as a snack, with coffee or tea or as a breakfast bread for busy mornings. It's great warmed in the toaster with a little butter or jam, too.
Bread Machine Zucchini Bread
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup honey
- 1 ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- walnuts for topping (optional)
- Spray the bread pan with oil. Add ingredients to the bread pan in the order listed, except for walnuts.
- Secure the bread pan to the bread machine. Plug it in and set to the "quick bread/cake" cycle. Choose the 1 pound loaf option and crust color preference. Press start. *If your machine does not have a quick bread cycle, check your manual for the comparable setting.
- The machine will begin mixing. This takes about 5 minutes. While it's mixing, scrape flour on the sides into the batter using a spatula. *When done mixing, you should also remove the paddle. Doing so will make the bread easier to remove when it's done. Cuisinart machines will beep when the mixing stage is done as a reminder to do this. If you forget, the paddle can be removed once the bread has cooled.
- When batter is done mixing, remove the paddle and top with walnuts. Close lid and let complete the bake cycle.
- When the baking cycle is complete, unplug the bread maker and wait 10 minutes. Then transfer bread to a wire rack to cool for at least 1 hour. Carefully remove the kneading paddle if you haven't done so and cut into approximately 12 slices.
To store homemade bread, slice it and wrap it in aluminum foil or place in a ziplock bag. Keep it in a cool dark place or bread box for up to three days.
Homemade bread can also be frozen. Wrap it tightly in plastic or place in a ziplock bag and freeze for up to 6 months.
To prevent bread from going stale quickly do not store it in the refrigerator. The cool temperature will cause the bread to quickly go stale.