Make homemade Air Fryer Pita Chips in just 12 minutes! They are so much better than store bought pita chips and are great for snacking and dipping in hummus. These crispy homemade pita chips are vegan and can be seasoned with your favorite spices and herbs.
The Air Fryer is possibly one of the best ways to make quick and healthy snacks, and homemade pita chips are no exception.
This recipe came from forgetting to buy something to dip into a giant tub of hummus. But we had lots of pita tucked away in the pantry that was just beginning to go stale— no good for sandwiches but perfect for making pita chips!
So whether you're looking to replace the store bought snacks (with all those extra ingredients) with a healthier homemade version, or forgot to add them to your grocery list, try making pita chips in your air fryer.
And you won't go back to buying them!
The best part about making homemade snacks is knowing exactly what's in them. This recipe uses minimal ingredients— just 4 herbs and spices plus a little olive oil.
It's vegan, just make sure to use pita pockets labeled vegan (most are). We use Toufayan pita bread, which is naturally vegan.
While pita chips are perfect for dipping into hummus, they are also a fantastic snacking chip on it's own or served with a Mediterranean or Middle Eastern style dinner or gathering.
They would be great served with these meals:
- Middle Eastern Stuffed Bell Peppers (Koosa Mih-shee)
- Mediterranean Quesadilla with Spinach and Feta
- Kebab Hindi: Syrian Lamb Meatballs, Vegetables and Rice
- Instant Pot Cabbage Rolls
- Instant Pot Lamb Stew
And for a complete easy air fryer lunch or dinner, make Mediterranean style quesadillas in only 6 minutes! The air fryer makes everything taste so much better, doesn't it?
Homemade pita chips are as healthy as the ingredients you use to make them. Pita pockets may contain refined grains and starches, so be careful when choosing which pita bread to use. But beyond the bread, this recipe is made with only a few spices and herbs, which are natural ingredients that don't contain additives.
To make these air fryer pita chips you need:
- Pita pockets (white or whole wheat): we use thick pita pockets instead of thin flatbreads to be able to pick up that thick hummus
- Oil: we use extra virgin olive oil but you can use any oil. If you're oil-free, spray the pita with a little water before seasoning to get the seasoning to stick
- Garlic powder
- Salt + pepper
- Parsley (dried or fresh)
Use other seasoning combinations to make homemade pita chips, such as:
- everything but the bagel seasoning (try chickpeas in this seasoning too!)
- ranch seasoning
- rosemary + sea salt
- parsley + thyme + oregano + garlic powder
- chili powder + cumin + cinnamon
- italian seasoning
- sea salt + pepper
Making pita chips in the air fryer is incredibly simple.
- Cut the pita pockets into equal triangles just like you would slice a pizza. Each pita should be cut into 8 triangles.
- Mix the oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and parsley in bowl and drizzle half over the pita triangles. Toss with your hands to coat the pita and then repeat with the remaining oil and herbs.
- Place in the air fryer basket and set to 325 degrees F for 8 minutes. Shake halfway through. Remove from the basket and serve with hummus or other Mediterranean-style dips.
- 8 minutes will give you a crispy pita chip that's just began to turn golden brown. For a softer chip, try 6 minutes and for a crispier chip, try 10. They will crisp up just a bit after taking them out of the air fryer, so keep this in mind when adjusting the time.
- Don't adjust the amount of oil. The amount here is just enough to coat the bread so they turn crispy instead of soggy.
- For the most evenly distributed seasoning, mix with your hands.
Making pita chips in the air fryer is really simple, and I know you'll love them. Enjoy!
Air Fryer Pita Chips
- 4 pita pockets
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon parsley
- Cut pita pockets into 8 triangles.
- Mix oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and parsley in a small bowl.
- Drizzle pita triangles with part of the olive oil and herbs. Toss and drizzle again until pita is coated evenly.
- Add to basket and set to 325° F for 8 minutes. Toss half way through.
How to Store
Once the pita chips are completely cool, store at room temperature in an airtight container or storage bag for 3-5 days.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and will let me know how it turns out in the comments below. Happy air frying!