Crispy Roasted Chickpeas with Everything Bagel Seasoning are baked in olive oil and salt until perfectly crisp. Sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning for a quick healthy family-friendly snack or topping for salads and grain bowls.
If you are looking for a wholesome, natural, healthy, and simple snack for you and your family, Crispy Roasted Chickpeas are it! This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, and kid-friendly (just watch your seasonings!). Chickpeas are packed with protein and fiber, yet they have barely any calories.
Albeit healthy, plain Crispy Roasted Chickpeas are pretty bland without any seasonings. So load up on your favorite one, in this case everything bagel seasoning, and enjoy as seasoned chickpeas as you want!
I ate the entire pan of my Crispy Roasted Chickpeas for lunch, before anyone else had a chance to sample them. Whoops! And that was all I needed until dinner. It felt so good not to be snacking all day, and even better that my 5 year old ate an entire little bowl after school!
Crispy Roasted Chickpeas can be a great kid-friendly food. While my barely 2 year old will snack on any kind of chickpea all day long, my 5 year old is more cautious about this protein-packed treat. If I've learned anything while trying to disguise healthy foods and trick my picky kiddo into eating them, it's this:
You should never, ever, not so much as hint that, this delicious food that you've worked so hard to create "is not something kids normally like".
The moment I so much as suggest it's not a "typical kid food", they suddenly "don't like it anymore." Don't make my mistake. Let them think these crispy roasted chickpeas are the ultimate children's snack.
If your kids refuse to eat roasted chickpeas the first few times, get them involved in making them. Let them sprinkle on the seasonings or pick out a different one if they don't like everything bagel seasoning. This will give them more of a reason to want to have a taste! And if that works for chickpeas, try it with these baked crispy kale chips too!
Ingredients and Substitutions
The ingredients in crispy roasted chickpeas are pretty simple:
- 1 can of chickpeas (15 ounces)
- Everything bagel seasoning
Plus a drizzle of olive oil and a dash of salt. Simple. Whole. Healthy.
Crispy roasted chickpeas are made in only 3 simple steps:
- Drain, rinse, and dry chickpeas with a paper towel. It's important to completely dry them. Wet chickpeas will not get crispy! Preheat the oven to 400 while chickpeas are drying.
- Place chickpeas on a baking sheet, toss with a drizzle of olive oil and a dash of salt, and spread into one layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes and sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning while still warm.
And then enjoy!
Crispy Roasted Chickpeas with Everything Bagel Seasoning
- 1 can chickpeas (15 ounce)
- olive oil to drizze
- dash of salt
- everything bagel seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Rinse chickpeas and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Transfer chickpeas to baking sheet, remove loose shells, and toss with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a dash of salt.
- Spread into 1 layer and bake for 20 minutes.
- While still warm, sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning, as much as desired.
Once you know the steps for creating the perfect crispy roasted chickpeas, the seasoning you add is really about your preference. This recipe and method of roasting chickpeas can be used with any of these spice and herb combinations:
- garlic salt and parsley
- jerk seasoning
- lemon pepper
- red pepper flakes
- bbq seasoning
- cajun seasoning
- Mediterranean spice blend
- taco spice blend
Always make sure to add the seasoning after the chickpeas have been roasted.
Serving and Storing
You can also skip the seasonings and just add a little salt and pepper, then use your chickpeas as a salad or grain bowl topping. I love them on spinach salads, along with hard boiled eggs and Italian dressing. Yum!
For ultimate crispiness, roasted chickpeas are best eaten the day you make them. After that they will lose a little crisp. You can store them in an airtight container at room temperature for about 2 days.
Do not store in the fridge, otherwise they will turn soft.