This Lemon Squares recipe is made with a soft-baked flour crust and a double lemon filling. Top with powdered sugar and serve at picnics, barbecues and summer parties. You'll make this super simple and tangy lemon bar dessert perfect every time!
Spring and summer mean lemon season, and you won't be able to get enough of these sweet and tangy lemon squares.
We all know that on their own, lemons are not so desirable.
Lemon Recipes You'll Love
- Lemon Olive Oil Cake
- One Pot Ricotta Lemon Pasta
- Strawberry Lemon Bread
- Grilled Lime Chicken with Cilantro and Lemon
- Garlic Broccoli Cauliflower with Red Onions & Lemon
Lemon squares make a refreshing summer snack at home, on a picnic, by the pool, or at a barbecue.
Why you'll love this easy lemon bars recipe:
- it's so simple
- it's refreshing on a warm day
- it's kid-friendly
- it's a crowd-pleasing dessert for barbecues and parties
These easy lemon squares are kid-friendly because they have a soft crust made from only flour, sugar, and butter. It's a perfect soft-baked crust that is strong enough to hold the lemon bars in tact, yet soft enough that you don't even know it's there.
This is perfect for kids because, what kid doesn't complain about crust?
To make lemon squares you need ingredients for the crust and ingredients for the filling.
For the crust:
- very soft butter
For the filling:
- lemon juice from fresh lemons
- lemon zest (grated lemon skins)
Powdered sugar is a nice addition for sprinkling when served, but it's not necessary.
To make lemon zest, grate the skin of the lemon and use those shavings as the zest. Be careful only to grate the yellow part of the skin and not the white layer underneath.
To get 1 tablespoon of lemon zest, you'll likely need to grate all 3 lemons. However, it depends on the size of your lemons.
🔪 Step-By-Step Directions
Prepare your materials by lining a 9 x 13 or 8 x 8 pan with wax paper, so it's hanging over the sides. This will make it easy to lift the lemon bars out of the pan.
Make sure to grease the wax paper for extra-easy removal. Lemon squares are fragile.
- To make the crust, combine the flour, sugar, and very soft butter. Mix it well and then press it onto the lined and greased pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While the crust cooks, prepare the filling. Mix the lemon juice, lemon zest, eggs, sugar, and flour until smooth. Then pour on top of the warm crust. Bake for another 20 minutes. Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before removing from pan and cutting.
- Once the lemon squares have chilled completely, remove from the pan by lifting up the ends of the wax paper. Cut into small squares and sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
I allow mine to chill for at least 2 hours, but if you are pressed for time, 30 minutes should be enough.
Then serve and enjoy! This treat pairs well as dessert after a Garlic Lime Shrimp and Rice Bowl or an Avocado and Salmon Tostada with Sweet Corn and Lime.
For the Crust
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup very soft butter
For the Filling
- ½ cup lemon juice (~3 lemons)
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅛ cup flour
- powdered sugar for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line an 8x8 or 9x13 pan with wax paper. Grease well.
- Combine the crust ingredients and mix well. Press into the pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- While crust bakes, whisk the lemon juice, lemon zest, eggs, sugar, and flour until well combined and smooth. Pour onto the pre-baked crust.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the filling no longer jiggles. Chill for 30 minutes before removing from pan. Cut into small squares and top with powdered sugar if desired.
🍲 How To Store
Store your lemon bars in the fridge for around 1 week. Cover them with plastic wrap or place in an airtight container to seal in their freshness.
Yes, lemon bars can be frozen. They even make a scrumptious frozen treat when eaten frozen. Make sure to wrap them in plastic wrap or foil. They will keep well in the freezer for about 3 months.
I hope that you've enjoyed your lemon squares! Let me know how they turned out in the comments below.