This Sun Dried Tomato Basil Bread is the best you'll ever have, guaranteed! It's a fantastic dinner bread for any holiday, appetizer for a work or school potluck, or a delicious dipping bread for soup. Make it in the bread machine or by hand. It's made with fresh basil, sun-dried tomatoes, Parmesan, and yogurt. This tomato basil bread will leave your kids and guests begging for more!
I was inspired to make this Sun Dried Tomato Basil Bread after seeing a similar tomato basil bread at a farmer's market. Not only did it taste fantastic, but it looked so perfect that I didn't even want to cut into it. The aroma of basil, tomato, and cheese wrapped up in an orange crust was mouth-watering. I'm glad I did though, because it was amazing!
So I was determined to make tomato basil bread on my own. And OH. MY. GOSH.
I knew that it'd be good, but I never expected it to be as big of a hit with my entire extended family and friends. Even the kids can not get enough, and that always makes me so happy!
The first time I made this bread was for Thanksgiving dinner many years ago. It was so popular that I've been asked at every holiday dinner since, "are you bringing the bread?" Of course I am! I've even began gifting it for Christmas! 🤩
🍞 Bread Machine Benefits
A bread machine is perfect for when you are new to making yeast breads. You simply throw all of your recipe's ingredients in the bread pan, set it to the function you need, and it does all the work for you!
This was the first yeast bread I had made, and using a bread machine made it much easier at first. Now that I'm comfortable working with yeast, I enjoy both the stand mixer method and the bread machine method.
With that said, this Cuisinart bread maker was the best kitchen investment I've made to date. I use it to make pizza dough, croissant dough, various breads, and so much more. It comes with an extensive recipe book too. Making breads and doughs instead of buying them all of the time saves me a ton of money.
I highly recommend investing in a good bread machine. While my Cuisinart bread machine is pricey, it is very well worth it. If that machine is out of your budget, this one is less expensive but still a great product.
Bread machine Sun Dried Tomato Basil Bread uses these ingredients:
- water + plain yogurt (to make a yogurt mixture)
- bread flour
- white sugar
- active dry or instant yeast
- grated parmesan cheese
- fresh basil
- sun-dried tomatoes
You can use sun dried tomatoes in oil or water or those that are ready to eat. Just make sure that you rinse off any oil and absorb extra water with a paper towel before adding them to the bread pan.
I've been asked if you can make bread machine tomato basil bread by hand too.
The answer is, yes! I've made it both ways and there are benefits to each. It's mostly a matter of the equipment you have and your preference. Read on to see the instructions for using both the bread machine and a stand mixer (by hand).
In addition to choosing your preferred method, Sun Dried Tomato Basil Bread can be altered in a few ways if you'd like.
- replace the basil with different herbs, such as parsley, or use a combination of herbs
- before the last rise, break the dough into small personal size balls and bake for 25 minutes to create individual dinner rolls
- sprinkle Parmesan on top during the last 15 minutes of baking
Using a bread machine is more hands-off than a stand mixer, so I usually choose this method. Sometimes I use the oven to bake it because I like to shape it into an oval and slice an X in the top, which you can't do in the bread machine.
First, heat the water and yogurt until it's steaming, but not boiling. Mix it well so the yogurt is mostly dissolved and then remove from the heat for 5 minutes.
Second, add all ingredients but the tomatoes, basil and parmesan to the bread machine basket in the order your machine requires.
If baking in the bread machine, choose setting 1 for basic white bread. Press start and when the mix-in sound beeps, add the tomatoes, basil and parmesan.
If baking in the oven, choose the dough setting. Press start and when the mix-in sound beeps, add the tomatoes, basil and parmesan. When the cycle completes, knead the dough a few times, shape into a ball or rectangle, and slice an X into the top.
Let the dough rest for 10 more minutes. Then bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Allow your freshly baked tomato basil bread to cool down for about 30 minutes before slicing.
Bread Machine Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Bread
- bread machine
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 2 ½ cups bread flour
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 2 ¼ tsp active dry or instant yeast
- ¼ cup Parmesan
- ⅓ cup fresh basil, torn
- 3 oz sun-dried tomatoes, cut into small pieces
- Soak water or oil off tomatoes if necessary and roughly chop into small pieces.
- In a small saucepan, heat the water and yogurt until steaming, stirring occasionally. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- In the order your bread machine requires, add all ingredients. For Cuisinart Bread Makers add ingredients to the bread machine in this order: water/yogurt, flour, salt, sugar, yeast.
- Set to function 1 for basic white bread. Select 1.5 lb loaf size and choose your crust color. Select start. If baking in the oven, set to the dough function and when finished, bake at 350° for 45 minutes. When the mix-in sound beeps, add the tomatoes, basil, and parmesan.
- Transfer to a wire cooling rack and let cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
🔪 By Hand Instructions
To make Sun Dried Tomato Basil Bread by hand, you'll need a stand mixer. If you don't have one, the Kitchen Aid classic mixer is a great choice.
With the stand mixer method, you will control the "rises", which means covering the bread, putting it in a warm place, and setting a timer. While the stand mixer does the majority of the hands-on kneading, you will have to knead for a few minutes near the end.
Here is how to make Sun Dried Tomato Bread by hand:
- Soak the oil or water off sun-dried tomatoes and cut into small pieces.
- In a saucepan, heat the water and yogurt until steaming, stirring occasionally. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- In a stand mixer, combine 1½ cup flour, salt, sugar, cheese, herbs, and yeast. Add yogurt mixture and tomatoes. Mix on low setting until smooth.
- Add the remaining flour ¼ cup at a time, until the dough is sticky.
- Knead with the dough hook on medium for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the mixer and put in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with a heavy cloth and set in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
- Knead a few more times, then shape into a smooth ball or rectangle. Slice an X on top. Cover and let rise next to the preheating oven for 10 more minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
You can find the full recipe using the stand mixer here.
🍲 Serving and Storing
Sun Dried Tomato Basil Bread is perfect when enjoyed:
- as a holiday appetizer or table bread
- as a replacement to plain bread when making fresh tomato and mozzarella sandwiches
- toasted with butter
- as a dipping bread for your favorite soup
- at a school or work potluck
- at a dinner party with friends
The bread should be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. It keeps for around 6 months in the freezer.
That's all there is making Sun Dried Tomato Basil Bread in the bread machine. I hope you enjoy ti! If you've made it, I'd love to hear how it turned out. Let me know in the comments below.