This is one of the best kielbasa and potato crock pot recipes! What was created from a night of, I have no idea what's for dinner and we don't have much to choose from, has turned into one of our favorite weeknight crockpot meals.
This is such an easy dump and go dinner full of tender potatoes, the rich flavor of Polish sausage and wholesome peppers, tomatoes and onions. If you love Polish kielbasa or Italian sausage, you should check out this slow cooker sausage casserole and 30-minute kielbasa and pepper pasta (Instant Pot version here) next!
This easy recipe makes a complete meal that the whole family will love. Even my picky eater asked for seconds! There's not much prep work that goes into this slow cooker recipe, either. Made with simple ingredients you likely already have in your pantry, this crockpot sausage and potato recipe is great on a busy weeknight or a lazy weekend. This delicious meal is also great for meal prepping as it's hearty and well-balanced, making a great lunch or dinner for work.
- Sausage: kielbasa sausage is what I like best in this recipe, but use your favorite sausage link variety if you prefer.
- Potatoes: I use halved baby potatoes, but you can use your favorite potatoes, such as peeled and diced russet potatoes, red potatoes or golden potatoes. Sweet potatoes will work too, but will get softer more quickly than white potatoes.
- Green peppers: instead of green bell peppers, you can use red, yellow or orange, or a combination of colorful peppers.
- Tomatoes: canned diced tomatoes, either petite or regular.
- Onions: sweet onions are my favorite, but yellow onions and red onions work too.
- Garlic: either fresh minced garlic or roasted garlic for extra flavor.
- Beef broth or chicken broth
- Seasonings: garlic powder, thyme, parsley, salt and black pepper
How To Make Slow Cooker Kielbasa and Potatoes
This easy crockpot dinner can be made in any size slow cooker, just make sure not to double or triple it if you have a small crockpot. For 6, 8 or 10 quart slow cookers, you can double and possibly triple the recipe.
STEP 1: Add the sliced kielbasa, halved or diced potatoes, sliced green peppers, chopped onions, canned diced tomatoes, minced garlic, broth and seasonings to the crockpot. Stir, pushing the ingredients into the liquid as much as possible. Set to low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours.
STEP 2: Mix the sausage and potato casserole, taste and season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve warm.
How To Store
Store slow cooker sausage and potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. Freeze for 2-3 months in freezer storage bags. To defrost, thaw in the fridge overnight.
- Add cheese to make cheesy crockpot kielbasa and potatoes. Cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese are good choices.
- Add more veggies: green beans, asparagus, carrots and peas will all give sausage and potatoes an extra dose of veggies and flavor.
- Make a creamy sauce: add a can of cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup or cream of celery soup to make a creamy sausage and potatoes recipe.
- Make it spicy: use andouille sausage or add a few teaspoons of red pepper flakes.
Recipe Tricks and Tips
- For crispy peppers, add them during the last 30 minutes of cooking time. Bell peppers cook quickly, so if you put them in at the start they will be very soft (which is how my entire family likes them).
- Use your favorite type of sausage to give it your own flair. Both mild and spicy sausages work well!
- To make this recipe more of a potato casserole, double up on the baby potatoes.
I love this recipe with kielbasa sausage, particularly turkey kielbasa. But any other type of sausage works, including beef kielbasa, smoked sausage, Italian sausage (beef, chicken, or turkey sausage variations) and andouille sausage.
Browning meat before adding to the crockpot is optional. I skip this step in most of my recipes to keep them one-pot meals and as simple as possible.
What To Serve With Crockpot Sausage and Potatoes
Crockpot Sausage and Potatoes
- 1 package kielbasa 14 oz, sliced into rounds
- 1.5 lbs baby potatoes halved
- 2 large green bell peppers sliced
- ½ large sweet onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes 15 oz, undrained
- 1 cup beef broth or 1 cup water and 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Add the sliced kielbasa, baby potatoes, sliced green peppers (*see notes), chopped onions, canned diced tomatoes, minced garlic, beef broth and seasonings to the crockpot. Stir, pushing the ingredients into the liquid as much as possible.
- Set to low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours. Mix the sausage and potato casserole, taste and season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve warm.