Air Fried Roasted Pumpkin Cubes make a quick and easy fall vegetable side dish. Pumpkin chunks are tossed with a sweet maple syrup glaze to make this delicious fall air fryer recipe. They are also a great addition to Thanksgiving dinner.
These Air Fryer Roasted Pumpkin Cubes turn out delicious, with a fork tender inside and crispy, caramelized edges. Drenched in a maple-soy glaze that I use to make bacon-wrapped scallops and salmon, this nutritious winter squash is given a sweet and savory taste that pairs perfectly with a simple fall main dish of turkey, chicken and fish.
You can use this same recipe to air fry butternut squash, acorn squash, sweet dumpling squash and sweet potatoes. Air fried pumpkin cubes make a great veggie side dish for your Thanksgiving dinner menu as well.
One of the best parts about this easy air fryer recipe, other than it's comforting savory flavor, is that you don't even need to peel the pumpkin! Pumpkin skins are edible and taste wonderful. If you do choose to peel the pumpkin, you can save the skin to make air fried pumpkin chips for healthy snacking. And of course, use roast the pumpkins seeds too!
- 1-3 pound pie pumpkin: these are also called sugar pumpkins.
- Maple syrup: pure dark maple syrup tastes the best.
- Soy sauce: light or dark both work.
- Fresh garlic cloves: or use air fried roasted garlic to elevate the flavor a bit.
- Fresh parsley: or dried parsley in a smaller quantity.
- Salt and pepper
Preparing Pumpkins For Roasting
STEP 1: To prepare the pie pumpkin for roasting, wash it thoroughly to remove any dirt and dry the skin. Slice off the stem as you would when carving a Halloween pumpkin, then cut the pumpkin in half down the middle.
STEP 2: Use a metal spoon to scoop out the seeds and to remove the stringy flesh. If peeling, use a good quality vegetable peeler to remove the skin as you would a potato. The skin of pumpkins is harder to remove before it's cooked, so take caution in doing this.
STEP 3: Once washed, peeled and the seeds have been removed, cut the pumpkin flesh into 1 to 2 inch cubes.
How To Air Fry Pumpkin Cubes
STEP 1: If required for your air fryer, preheat to 400℉ while preparing the pumpkin. Wash, dry and peel the skin off the pumpkin (peeling is optional, see above for preparation steps). Remove the stem and scoop out seeds and membranes. Chop pumpkin into 1-2 inch pieces.
STEP 2: In a large mixing bowl, combine maple syrup, soy sauce, mashed garlic cloves, fresh parsley, salt and black pepper. Mix well, then add the pumpkin. Toss to coat.
STEP 3: Line the air fryer basket or tray with parchment paper. Place the pumpkin cubes into the basket tray, drizzling with the remaining maple marinade. Air fry for 20 minutes, basting with the glaze half way through.
STEP 4: Remove from the air fryer and season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve warm with your favorite main dish.
What To Serve With Roasted Pumpkin
Here are some great ways to serve roasted pumpkin cubes:
- Over basmati rice, white rice or farro and barley to make a hearty vegetarian lunch or dinner.
- Tossed into cozy warm fall salads.
- As a veggie side dish for air fried steak or coffee rubbed slow cooker tri tip, pecan crusted chicken, meatloaf, and leg of lamb roast.
How To Store
In the refrigerator, store air fried roasted pumpkin cubes in an airtight container for up to 7 days. They can be frozen for up to 3 months for optimal quality.
- If peeling the skin off the pumpkin sounds like a tedious task, leave it on and remove it once it's cooked (or eat it!). Pumpkin skin slides right off once it's cooked.
- Make sure to baste the pumpkin cubes half way through air frying! To do this, use a basting brush to gather up the marinade on the parchment paper. It will have thickened slightly and began to caramelize, sticking nicely to the pumpkin. This is a great way to add even more flavor to this delicious vegetable.
For the quickest and most even cooking, it's best to air fryer pumpkin cubes in one layer if possible. You can stack them, but I recommend tossing at the half way mark so they cook evenly.
Pie pumpkins, also called sugar pumpkins, are the best pumpkins for roasting and cooking. They are easily found in the grocery store in September, October and November.
Air Fried Roasted Pumpkin Cubes
- If required for your air fryer, preheat to 400℉ while preparing the pumpkin.
- Wash, dry and peel the skin off the pumpkin (peeling is optional). Remove the stem and scoop out seeds and membranes. Chop pumpkin into 1-2 inch pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine maple syrup, soy sauce, mashed garlic cloves, fresh parsley, salt and black pepper. Mix well, then add the pumpkin. Toss to coat.
- Line the air fryer basket or tray with parchment paper. Place the pumpkin cubes into the basket tray, drizzling with the remaining maple marinade. Air fryer for 20 minutes, basting with the marinade half way through.
- Remove from the air fryer and serve warm with your favorite main dish.