Check out this super easy Mini Stuffed Taco Peppers recipe for the best taco stuffed peppers ever! This super simple recipe has just 5 ingredients and comes together in only 20 minutes. Made with ground beef, taco seasoning, salsa, bell peppers, and cheddar cheese— no rice. Drizzle with super easy-to-make homemade cilantro lime crema for a true taste of Mexico. Use for meal prepping, party appetizers, a hearty and healthy lunch, or as a complete dinner served with your favorite sides.
Mini Stuffed Taco Peppers are so simple and delicious. It puts a healthier low carb spin on the average "Taco Tuesday" night. Instead of stuffing your tortilla shells, stuff your peppers!
This easy family-friendly meal is loaded with vitamin C, iron, and other nutrients.
The brightly colored peppers are packed with vitamin C and will help your body absorb more of the iron from the beef. And we could all probably use a little help getting our iron, since most people do not get enough of this essential mineral.
We also love these vegetarian buffalo cauliflower tacos and taco stuffed zucchini boats, as more healthy twists on traditional tacos.
This easy taco stuffed peppers recipe uses limited healthy ingredients:
- ground beef
- mini bell peppers
- cheddar cheese
- taco seasoning
The cilantro lime crema requires:
- sour cream
- lime juice (or a lime)
Feel free to add beans to the stuffing if you'd like.
Mexican crema is a thickened cream most often used drizzled over soups or in tacos, burritos, and enchiladas. It's a tangy and creamy sauce. Crema is really easy to make and can give your meal a whole lot of jazz.
I use sour cream or yogurt to make crema quickly without having to boil any ingredients. I just mix with water, herbs, and a tangy juice and I have my crema topping. You can read more about that next.
Easy taco stuffed peppers are made in only 3 easy steps. And because you're only using 1 pan and 1 pot, there is next to no cleanup!
Here's how to do it:
- In a large skillet brown the beef, about 5-7 minutes. Add ⅔ cup water and taco seasoning and simmer for 8 more minutes. Then add the salsa and remove from heat.
- While the beef cooks, prep the peppers by slicing them in half and removing the insides. Wash and dry. Place them on a baking sheet and rub with a little olive oil to coat. Bake at 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
- When the peppers and beef are done, layer each pepper with a little bit of cheese, then beef/salsa mix, then cheese. Bake for 5 more minutes, until the cheese is melted.
Making the cilantro lime crema is even easier. All you have to do is mix the sour cream with lime juice and a little water, sprinkle in some fresh or dried cilantro, and stir.
If you don't like sour cream, use plain yogurt instead.
To serve, drizzle the peppers with the cilantro lime crema. I serve these over chopped romaine lettuce and quick minute white rice (or leftover rice) and then drizzle with the cilantro lime crema for a complete healthy lunch or dinner.
Stuffed Taco Peppers with Cilantro Lime Crema
For the Taco Stuffed Peppers
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 taco seasoning packet
- ¾ cup salsa
- 10-16 mini bell peppers (depending on size)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- chopped romaine, to serve
- cooked white rice, to serve
For the Cilantro Lime Crema
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (or ½ squeeze lime)
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large skillet, brown ground beef for 5 minutes on high heat, stirring often.
- While beef browns, wash, core, and half peppers. Dry and rub with a little olive oil. Place on a baking sheet and cook for 5 minutes.
- To the beef, add the taco seasoning and ⅔ cup water. Simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add the salsa, mix, and remove from heat.
- To the peppers, add a small amount of cheddar cheese, then beef and salsa stuffing. Top each pepper with the remaining cheese and cook 5 more minutes, until cheese has melted.
- Meanwhile, mix the sour cream cream, cilantro, water, and lime juice until smooth. Add water if you'd like the crema creamier.
- Serve peppers over rice and lettuce, drizzled with cilantro lime crema.
This stuffed taco peppers recipe is so versatile, so you can absolutely alter it to suit your preferences.
Some great suggestions are:
- Add black beans to the stuffing
- Serve over white or brown rice
- Use diced tomatoes instead of salsa, or both
- Add diced onions to the stuffing
- Add peppers to the stuffing
- Top with sliced olives
You can also use different cheeses, like monterey jack, Mexican cheese blend, mozzarella, or any of your other favorite cheeses.
The cheese can also be added to the meat mixture rather than on top.
These delicious bite-sized peppers are perfect for meal prepping because they are quick and contain lots of vitamins and good healthy proteins and minerals, like iron.
They are easy to pop right in the toaster and microwave and only take a short time to warm.
Mini stuffed peppers are great for snacking or as a party food like New Year's Eve and the Super Bowl.
They are still delicious at room temperature, so for parties there is no need to worry about warming them up again or if your guests will like them once they have been sitting for a while.
An option for parties is to keep the peppers whole instead of slicing them. Mix the meat filling with the cheddar cheese and stuff the peppers. Bake them like this, and serve with the cilantro lime crema on the side for dipping.
This is a great option for parties because it keeps the filling inside the pepper for less mess. And if your guests will be walking around with their snacks, this might keep your house a bit more clean.
Mini stuffed taco peppers make a fantastic family-friendly, budget-friendly and fast dinner! Perfect for a weeknight when you're short on time and energy.
For a full dinner, serve them with rice and chopped romaine or a side of beans.
I also like to use large bell peppers at times. I make this recipe with large bell peppers more often in the summer because the local farmer's market sells them for an amazingly low price.
If you enjoyed this recipe, make sure to give it a star rating and let me know what you thought in the comments! And follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for more delicious recipes!
Leave a Comment