Make an easy Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup on cold fall and winter nights or when craving a comforting and hearty Italian dinner. Top with crusty croutons and melted cheese, and you've got a mouth-watering unraveled chicken parmesan dinner!
I think you'll agree with the picky eaters in my house that this Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup recipe is amazing. It tastes exactly like you're eating a chicken parmesan pasta dinner!
Chicken parmesan soup is flavored with a parmesan tomato broth and spiced with Italian seasonings. Add crunchy croutons, mozzarella, and shaved parmesan cheese to the top and let it melt into the soup for the ultimate cheesy soup dinner. Or pop it into the broiler for a minute and serve like you would a big bowl of french onion soup.
This soup has incredible flavor, uses easy ingredients, and is totally hands off- nothing needs to be precooked. It's a dump and go crock pot recipe perfect for dinner anytime of the year. But it is especially satisfying on a chilly evening, during those hectic back to school nights, and on lazy weekend days.
Chicken parmesan soup is as easy to make in your crockpot on busy or lazy does as is chicken taco soup, one pot meatloaf dinner and set it and forget it pepper steak.
To make slow cooker chicken parmesan soup you need:
- Chicken breasts: large raw chicken breasts (do not use frozen for food safety purposes)
- Tomatoes: this recipe uses cans of diced tomatoes and crushed tomatoes.
- Chicken broth: vegetable broth can be used too.
- Italian seasoning blend
- Onion: yellow or sweet onions both work here.
- Garlic: I prefer fresh garlic cloves but jarred minced garlic is fine.
- Parmesan cheese: use your favorite brand of grated parmesan cheese.
- Pasta: I like shells, cavatappi, elbows, and other short pasta. Whatever you have on hand is perfect!
- Mozzarella cheese: adding shredded or cubed mozzarella when serving makes this recipe extra delicious!
- Croutons: these are added when serving too!
STEP 1: Add chicken breasts, onion, garlic, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, chicken broth, salt, pepper and grated parmesan cheese to the slow cooker. Set to high for 6 hours.
STEP 2: Remove the chicken breasts when there is 30 minutes of cook time left. Shred or cut into cubes and return to the slow cooker. Add the pasta shells and cook for the remaining 30 minutes.
STEP 3: Stir well, and top with croutons, mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese to serve. Enjoy once the cheese melts into the soup or put bowls in the broiler for a few minutes to melt the cheese until it's bubbly.
Crockpot chicken parmesan soup is a balanced and hearty dinner on it's own. It also pairs well with a simple garden salad and crusty bread like garlic bread, three cheese bread, Italian bread, and pizza bread.
Store in the fridge in a covered container for up to 7 days.
This soup is also freezer-friendly and keeps well for around 6 months.
No, frozen chicken should not be used in a slow cooker per food safety guidelines. There is a risk for bacteria growing on the chicken as it sits in the slow cooker, before it comes to a safe temperature. This makes it possible for anyone who consumes the cooked chicken afterward to become ill.
Yes! This soup is a great way to leftover plain pasta. Add cooked pasta to the soup once the 6 hours is done.
If you enjoyed this recipe, make sure to give it a star rating and let me know what you thought in the comments! And follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for more delicious recipes!
Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 large large onion diced
- 7 garlic cloves minced
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 8 oz pasta shells
- croutons for serving
- shredded mozzarella cheese for serving
- for shaved parmesan cheese for serving
- Add chicken breasts, onion, garlic, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, chicken broth, salt, pepper and grated parmesan cheese to the slow cooker. Set to high for 6 hours.
- Remove the chicken breasts when there is 30 minutes of cook time left. Shred or cut into cubes and return to the slow cooker. Add the pasta shells and cook for the remaining 30 minutes.
- Stir well, and top with croutons, mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese to serve. Enjoy once the cheese melts into the soup or put bowls in the broiler for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
Do you put in the pasta already cooked?
Hi Sandy- the pasta shells go in uncooked when there are 30 minutes remaining. They will cook in that amount of time. Enjoy! 🙂
Me again! Just following up to say this soup is out of this world delicious! I added chopped carrots and one chopped red bell pepper and cooked it in the instant pot on high for 9 minutes. Absolutely perfect! Will definitely add this to my soup rotation! Thank you so much for your suggestion and for this great recipe!
This looks so amazing. I mostly eat soup because it’s a great way for me to get a ton of veggies and nutrients. Just wondering IF you were to add additional veggies to this soup, which ones you might add so as not to alter the flavor too much? Would love to hear. It looks amazing as is, but love to sneak in extra vegetables with any soup recipe.
That's a good idea! I am thinking chopped spinach, cut green beans, carrots, and maybe a bell pepper would be great additions without changing the flavor.