This Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Balsamic Sauce is melt-in-your-mouth delicious! Chuck roast, onions, garlic, potatoes, and carrots are slow cooked in a balsamic sauce made with balsamic vinegar, beef broth, and Worcestershire. A true dump and go slow cooker dinner that can feed large families and guests during the winter and holiday season.
When the weather official becomes cold & frosty, the Sunday slow cooker ritual begins. This melt-in-your mouth slow cooker pot roast needs to be in your crockpot rotation.
It's an easy crockpot pot roast that's loaded with potatoes, carrots, onion and garlic, all simmered in an incredibly flavorful balsamic sauce.
This slow cooker pot roast is family-friendly and perfect for cold winter days. Or when you barely want to lift a finger to prepare dinner, this meal is for you.
It may not seem that pot roast is kid-friendly. But the slow cooker has a knack for making vegetables extra soft and red meat incredibly tender. A slow cooker pot roast completed with veggies is a great way to get young kids to eat their veggies and get a dose of protein from meat.
We all know and love the slow cooker for its ability to cook our dinner for us, so I am always disappointed to find a recipe where I have to precook ingredients before or add something halfway through.
This balsamic slow cooker pot roast truly is a "dump and go" recipe. No need to sear the chuck roast or anything like that.
Just put all of the ingredients in the slow cooker and walk away! It's also fairly inexpensive, and even more so if you can find a good sale on the roast.
Balsamic slow cooker pot roast so fantastic on days when schedules are all over the place. Like when I need to have dinner ready before my husband goes to work in the afternoon. When the kids decide they are starving at 4 pm, or when we need dinner ready immediately after getting home from dance class.
It's a life saver to simply throw everything in my slow cooker early in the morning and have dinner ready before lunch is even served. That way everyone can eat on their own time.
Balsamic slow cooker pot roast is also wonderful for holiday potlucks and easy dinners on busy nights when holiday baking, wrapping, and decorating takes priority. You'll love the warm aroma that fills the house as it cooks. And of course, that you barely had to enter the kitchen to get it done!
To make this slow cooker pot roast you need:
- chuck roast
- balsamic vinegar
- worcestershire sauce
- salt + pepper
- beef broth (or water if you are in a pinch and don't have beef broth)
Dinner doesn't get any easier than when making this slow cooker pot roast.
First, set your crockpot to high on 6 hours. Add the roast, peeled and halved carrots and chopped onions and garlic to the crockpot. Sprinkle with the herbs.
Put the potatoes on top of the roast and vegetables. I do this to prevent the potatoes from cooking in the sauce and turning to mush before everything else is done.
Last, pour in the balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and beef broth. The potatoes should mostly be above the broth.
Close the lid and your ready to go! When the 6 hours is up, pull apart the beef with a fork. It should easily shred.
- I like to shred my roast, stir everything around so it's coated in the sauce, and let it sit for about 30 minutes longer on warm. The longer it sits and the ingredients "marry", the tastier it is.
- If you are home throughout the cooking process, you can also occasionally stir it, making sure most of the potatoes are still not cooking in the sauce. But if you are out of the house, no worries! This isn't a necessary step.
- This recipe is perfect for about 4 people, but if you have a bigger crowd to feed, you can double all ingredients and use a bigger roast.
Slow Cooker Beef Stew with Balsamic Sauce
- 2 lb boneless chuck roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoon rosemary
- 8 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup beef broth
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 carrots, sliced
- 4 cups potatoes, quartered
- Set the slow cooker to high for 6 hours or low for 8 hours. Add the roast and sprinkle with the thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Add the bay leaf, onions and garlic around the roast.
- Pour the beef broth, balsamic vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce over the roast and seasonings.
- Add the carrots and potatoes on top and cover.
How To Make It Kid-Friendly
Great news! This slow cooker pot roast is already kid and baby-friendly. Because the meat becomes so tender while simmering all day, it is soft enough for tiny teeth and new chewers alike. The meat literally falls apart in your mouth!
The carrots also make great finger food for babies and kids. Although, my kids aren't huge fans of diced potatoes, so I just mash them up quickly and they eat them that way.
And that's all there is to making this slow cooker pot roast in balsamic sauce. If you made it and loved it, let me know in the comments below. I'd love to hear your feedback!