Chocolate Pancakes are fluffy, sweet, and full of chocolate flavor. Make them with dairy or non-dairy plain milk or chocolate milk for extra chocolatey flavor. They are made in 1 bowl and are sweet and simple- a perfect breakfast for any morning, and of course a hit with kids! Make with the optional chocolate sauce for an even sweeter bite or top with yogurt, fruit or syrup.
Get ready for the best chocolate pancakes you'll ever make!
This recipe is based off of my tried and true, most popular recipe for vanilla almond milk pancakes. Only here we are adding chocolate chips, cocoa powder, and switching to chocolate almond milk.
But using any milk in this recipe will work fine. Dairy milk, lactose-free, almond milk, oat milk, soy milk, and coconut milk will create the same fluffy, sweet pancakes.
I tested this recipe with both plain almond milk and chocolate almond milk. The chocolate almond milk pancakes were richer in flavor. Both were just as sweet, so I prefer chocolate almond milk. Not only does it create a more flavorful pancakes, it keeps this heavenly breakfast a little less in calories.
Chocolate pancakes are fantastic topped with fresh blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries, then drizzled with pure maple syrup. Plain yogurt and fruit also counter some of the sweetness.
While you can also make the chocolate sauce given here, be warned— it makes a sweet breakfast much sweeter. So if you'd like to skip the sugar rush, pass on the chocolate sauce. They'll be amazing either way.
Add them to a breakfast charcuterie board for extra fun, especially on Mother's Day or Father's Day. They are lovely added to holiday brunch boards, too!
More Breakfast Ideas:
- Oat Milk Pancakes
- Baked Ham and Cheese Croissant
- Bacon Egg and Cheese Croissant Ring
- Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal
- Cottage Cheese Waffles
More Chocolate Recipes:
- Crockpot Hot Chocolate
- Chocolate Pumpkin Bread with Almonds
- Chocolate Pudding with Coconut and Almond Milk
- Chocolate Orange Hazelnut Fruit Pizza
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
🥞 Fluffy Pancake Tricks
Making chocolate pancakes is just as easy as making traditional pancakes. But it's first worth hearing some tricks to getting any pancake recipe as extra fluffy and perfect.
TRICKS FOR THE FLUFFIEST PANCAKES
- Pancake batter is fluffier the longer it sits. If you have time, let the batter sit for an hour or so before cooking. You can even make pancake batter the night before and let it sit in the fridge overnight for super fluffy pancakes.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl until foamy, and then add them to the batter when called for.
Both of these tricks create a soft, fluffy pancake.
And don't worry about over mixing pancake batter as you would muffin batter. Mixing pancake batter until it's smooth, and then some, doesn't lead to dense pancakes. It makes them even better.
MAKE THE PANCAKES
- In a large bowl combine dry ingredients.
- Add the milk, oil, vanilla, and eggs. Mix until smooth.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Cook the pancakes on a griddle or large pan. Make them any size you'd like or use pancake stencils for fun!
Keep the pancakes warm after cooking and while making the chocolate sauce by covering with foil.
Then stack them.
Serve chocolate pancakes with your chosen toppings and enjoy!
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chocolate almond milk (or other milk) *see notes
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup chocolate chips
Optional Chocolate Sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt.
- Make a hole in the center and add the milk, oil, vanilla, and eggs. Mix until smooth.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Cook the pancakes: Melt 1 teaspoon butter over medium heat on a griddle. Fill a soup ladle halfway with batter and pour onto the griddle (or make pancakes in any size you'd like). When bubbles begin to form (after about 2 minutes), flip with a spatula. Cook on other side for about 90 more seconds. Keep pancakes warm after cooking by covering with foil.
- Make the chocolate sauce (optional): Add heavy cream and chocolate chips to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 20 second increments until melted, stirring between each increment.
- Serve pancakes with chocolate sauce, whipped cream, maple syrup, yogurt, or fresh fruit.
Yes! Use chocolate milk as the liquid and add ¼ cup of cocoa powder and 1 cup of chocolate chips to the batter.
Yes! You can make pancakes without eggs by replacing the eggs with flax eggs. To make 1 flax egg, combine 1 tablespoon of ground flax with 3 tablespoons of water. Let the mixture sit for 15 minutes, then add to your recipe as you would a regular egg. Use 1 flax egg as a substitute for 1 regular egg.
🍲 How To Store
Store pancakes in an airtight bag.
Room temperature: for about 2 days.
Fridge: for about 5 days.
Freezer: for roughly 6 months.