Not sure what to do with leftover pumpkin? Tired of dousing your pancakes in butter and syrup and need a healthier option? Pumpkin Ricotta Pancakes are the perfect solution! Pumpkin ricotta is made with only 4 ingredients and can be whipped up in minutes. Serve on top of pancakes or waffles for a quick and easy healthy breakfast solution.
Topping pancakes with ricotta pumpkin mix is one of my family's favorite ways to eat pancakes. I just don't like syrup and butter on mine, so I am always on the lookout for new and exotic toppings.
In my quest years ago to replace unhealthy foods with healthier options, I stumbled upon a recipe for pumpkin ricotta waffles. We didn't have waffle maker then, but we could certainly make pancakes!
Instead of making waffles stuffed with pumpkin and ricotta, I opted for making delicious almond milk pancakes topped with pumpkin, ricotta, and brown sugar. And I am so glad because they were SCRUMPTIOUS!
I've made these for many years before having children, and I honestly didn't think mine would eat pancakes with pumpkin (a dreaded vegetable!) and a healthy cheese.
BUT, they scarfed those pancakes down like they hadn't eaten in days.
And what's more perfect than a healthy, energizing, delicious, AND kid-friendly meal?!
Ingredients Needed For Pumpkin Ricotta Pancakes
You will need:
- Ricotta: I like whole milk ricotta. Ricotta is a healthier cheese because it has less fat and salt than others.
- Pumpkin: real canned pumpkin is what I use, not pumpkin pie filling. If you want to roast and puree your own pumpkin, that would be delicious (and time consuming)! Pumpkin contains a lot of Vitamin K and C.
- Pumpkin spice mix: I use a store bought mix most of the time, but you can make your own. Cookie & Kate has a great recipe.
- Brown sugar: not required, but highly recommended!
How Do I Make Pumpkin Ricotta Pancakes
So simple. To make Pumpkin Ricotta Pancakes, mix the pumpkin, ricotta, and pumpkin spice together in a bowl. Spread on top of your already made pancakes or waffles of choice, and sprinkle with brown sugar if desired. Grab your fork and take a bite!
No cooking, no microwaving. Just mix and serve.
Pumpkin Ricotta Waffle & Pancake Topping
- ½ cup ricotta
- ¼ cup pureed pumpkin
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- brown sugar for sprinkling (optional)
- Mix the ricotta, pumpkin puree, and pumpkin spice together.
- Spread on top of waffles, pancakes, or other breakfast items. Sprinkle with brown sugar if desired.