This scrumptious Garlic Cheddar Chicken is coated in Italian breadcrumbs and cheddar cheese, then drizzled with garlic butter sauce and baked until golden crisp. Serve with roasted or steamed veggies and microwave-baked potatoes for a quick 30-minute dinner. A hit with adults and kiddos!
This Garlic Cheddar Chicken recipe came from days long ago, before children and marriage. I created this when I first moved out of my parent's home to live with my fiance and was just learning how to cook an entire meal on my own.
I had helped my mom in the kitchen from a young age, whether it was scrubbing potatoes as a 6 year old or mixing the meatballs as a teenage. And I loved it, but then I was on my own and cooking for my fiance (who I wanted to like my food!).
I didn't love it so much then that I had to cook for a southern husband who grew up eating lots of fried foods. We didn't fry anything growing up, so it was something I was totally unfamiliar with. Baked breaded chicken was the closest to it. So we ate A LOT of breaded chicken cutlets. And that got boring fast!
I experimented with a ton of different way to make baked chicken, but this Garlic Cheddar Chicken is one of our favorites. It's a go-to meal that we know the kids will love. It's probably the cheese. Cheese makes everything delicious.
I like serving Garlic Cheddar Chicken with steamed or roasted veggies and simple microwave-baked potatoes. It makes for a quick well-balanced dinner that is ready in only 30 minutes.
Ingredients Needed for Garlic Cheddar Chicken
Garlic Cheddar Chicken requires:
- chicken breasts: I use thin sliced or strips so they cook faster, and my kids are more likely to eat them if they are thin
- sliced garlic: the garlic should be thinly sliced, not minced
- butter: unsalted is best
- cheddar cheese: sharp is my favorite, but the preference is yours
- Parmesan cheese: grated Parmesan works best
- bread crumbs: Italian breadcrumbs give this a whole lotta flavor
How Do I Make Garlic Cheddar Chicken?
To make Garlic Cheddar Chicken, first preheat the oven and melt the butter in a large pan.
Add the sliced garlic to the butter and cook for a minute. Turn off the heat and add the chicken to the garlic butter. Coat it on both sides with the mixture and then coat in the breadcrumbs.
Last, put the breaded chicken on a parchment-lined baking sheet and top evenly with cheddar and Parmesan cheeses. Drizzle any remaining garlic butter sauce over it and bake for about 25 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink and the cheese starts to turn golden brown.
Serve with your family's favorite vegetable and grain.
Garlic Cheddar Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup butter
- 4 garlic cloves
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large pan. While butter is melting, slice garlic cloves into thin pieces. Add to pan and cook in melted butter for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Coat chicken breasts in the garlic butter sauce.
- Add breadcrumbs to a separate plate or cutting board, and coat chicken breasts in the crumbs.
- Put chicken on a parchment-lined baking sheet and top evenly with cheddar and Parmesan cheeses.
- Drizzle chicken with the remaining garlic butter sauce. You can add more butter if desired, to give you more sauce.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until cheese is just turning brown and crispy.